HP laptop hard drive question

Status
Not open for further replies.

diesel43078

Solid State Member
I'm looking to replace the hard drive in a old HP laptop. It's a pavilion ze4560us. The connector for the hard drive is pictured below.

VSCN1989.jpg

DSCN1990.jpg

This doesn't look like the standard IDE-ATA6 connection on most IDE laptop hard drives. I was wondering if an IDE-ATA6 drive would work in this computer, or if I'd have to try to find another one like this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony

Hello,

That looks like a SCSI drive. Not a IDE or SATA Drive.

Cheers,
Mak

It's an IDE drive. That thing sticking out is just an adapter to plug into an HP laptop. Pull on the adapter and it should come off.

Also don't forget to take it out of the metal carriage/bracket thing :D.

It's an IDE drive. That thing sticking out is just an adapter to plug into an HP laptop. Pull on the adapter and it should come off.

Also don't forget to take it out of the metal carriage/bracket thing :D.

I just figured that out. I got to looking at it again and ended up getting the adapter off. I thought about that before, but it wouldn't come off the first time I looked at it, then I went back and ended up getting it off.

Thanks guys,

Anthony

Yeah, HP and Compaq laptops have those adapters (even for SATA drives). Took me a little while to figure it out the first time I had to work on a Compaq laptop at work, lol. Then when i figured it out, I kinda felt like slapping myself in the forehead xD.

Glad you figured it out, and no problem.

Yeah, HP and Compaq laptops have those adapters (even for SATA drives). Took me a little while to figure it out the first time I had to work on a Compaq laptop at work, lol. Then when i figured it out, I kinda felt like slapping myself in the forehead xD.

Glad you figured it out, and no problem.

Yeah, no kidding. Same here, lol.

Thanks

Yeah, definitely IDE, the black thing is an adapter. My IBM doesn't have an adapter, just takes the IDE pins directly, but one time I took apart a broken Dell laptop and it also had a connector for its IDE hard drive (different connector than the one pictured above). Not sure why companies do this, but yeah, watch out for the connectors as laptops are very likely to have them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom