Q6600 or Dual Core for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shafra

In Runtime
Hey guys, was about to order me a Q6600 so I could have quad for future games that will use all the cores but in reviews for the Q6600 on NewEgg people say the Core 2 Duo's are faster and better for gaming. I usually try to buy something that is a little more future proof so the quad seemed the way to go, what would you recommend?

Running an E6750 now and was going to make that my second PC.

Not many games use all 4 cores, I think Crysis may only be the only game that does.

For the same price as a Q6600 or around that price bracket, you can get a faster dual core. But its not future proof.

Dual cores around same price of Q6600= Faster speeds and better gaming performance
Q6600 = Still fast and a good CPU, not as fast as the better dual cores but is future proof for quad core when it really takes off in gaming. And dont forget it overclocks well.

Essentially if you buy a Q6600, it will act as a 2.4ghz dual core when gaming as barely any games are optimized to use all 4. But 2.4 isnt exactly bad now is it. And its future proof.

I myself am going for the Q6600 for its future proofing and overclocking potential.

The Q6600 is the best bang for the buck right now. As games come out they will utilize more cores. Plus don't listen to the reviews on newegg, some of them people are idiots.

Thanks guys. If I can run the Q6600 at 3ghz I think that will be plenty for me! I was hoping the quad core would be recommended so as new games come out that utilize all 4 I can take advantage of it.

crysis isn't the only game to use all 4-cores ( it might even use 2 ) ..i wish people would stop being " oh lawds crysis it's teh amazing lawl lawl it greatest ting on earth!!!21212!!!@!eleven!!!! "

even if the game doesn't use all cores, the OS and other background programs will use those 2 cores which will let the game have 2 dedicated cores to itself....imo, get a quad-core unless you want to spend less than $150ish

Unreal Tournament III also does load Quads... AMD GT Player mentioned another one, don't remember what it is...

But I agree with Wafflehammer (thats probably what Veedubfreak will also say :))

The truth is the e6750 to the q6600 isn't a justifiable upgrade. You probally won't see much of a difference in games... In other task it will knock a few seconds off but really do you need a few seconds off now. I would wait a few years and just start saving for a new build... Get a better processor then, and knock task times to instant....

Not many games use all 4 cores, I think Crysis may only be the only game that does.

For the same price as a Q6600 or around that price bracket, you can get a faster dual core. But its not future proof.

Dual cores around same price of Q6600= Faster speeds and better gaming performance
Q6600 = Still fast and a good CPU, not as fast as the better dual cores but is future proof for quad core when it really takes off in gaming. And dont forget it overclocks well.

Essentially if you buy a Q6600, it will act as a 2.4ghz dual core when gaming as barely any games are optimized to use all 4. But 2.4 isnt exactly bad now is it. And its future proof.

I myself am going for the Q6600 for its future proofing and overclocking potential.

crysis isn't the only game to use all 4-cores ( it might even use 2 ) ..i wish people would stop being " oh lawds crysis it's teh amazing lawl lawl it greatest ting on earth!!!21212!!!@!eleven!!!! "

even if the game doesn't use all cores, the OS and other background programs will use those 2 cores which will let the game have 2 dedicated cores to itself....imo, get a quad-core unless you want to spend less than $150ish

Please explain to me where I was being " oh lawds crysis it's teh amazing lawl lawl it greatest ting on earth!!!21212!!!@!eleven!!!! ".

...I simply said I think Crysis is the only game that does use 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom