Not sure what the problem is

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory

Daemon Poster
I am having a little problem with my rig I built a few months back. I think it may have something to do with the video card but not sure. Let me see if I can explain this. It seems every once in a while when my computer is on for several hours, the display will get all messed up. The taskbar will disappear but when you move the mouse across it will reappear then disappear again once I take the mouse off.

When this happens, I can not open the start menu or any programs. My pc becomes slow when this happens too. It takes forever for it to restart. Sometimes I just hit the restart button on the case. Once it restarts, everything is back to normal.

I don't think it is the temps because right now it has been on for a few hours and the gpu is at 58 degrees and not going up. Is there some kind of test I can do on the video card?

I hope I explained this well enough.

well it doesn't explain the slowness, but it sounds like the task bar isn't locked to the desktop, go into control panel, g to the taskbar and start menu icon, and lock it, if it is not already done.

Now the problem is starting to get more frequent. It has happened twice in one day. This is starting to make me mad because usually it happens when I am in the middle of something and I have to start over.

I don't think the problem has to do with the task bar being locked. I had it locked and it still happened.

Whenever this happens, the taskbar will go up to the top but the start button will stay at the bottom. If I try to open it, it will only stay open for a split second. The whole desktop and whatever I had open will start flashing. I really don't know how to explain this. I have to restart it to get it back to normal.

I have ran scans with AVG 8.0 Internet Security and has found nothing. I would do a format but I am not sure if that will fix the problem.

Sounds like your Windows went nuts! The problem really doesn't sound like a virus. The two things I can think of are to get the latest drivers for your video card and try changing the SATA cable on your hard drive. Sometimes the misread data doesn't crash the computer but only distorts the data being transferred instead. I actually just had to change my cable because my file transfers would transfer only a portion of each file from one drive to the next and then XP would crash.

Windows Event Log doesn't say anything after it happens?

Is this for Vista or XP? I am running Vista.

Nevermind, I found it.

Well, in the last hour there are 4 errors, 3 of them are from the source SideBySide and 1 from the Event Log. There are a total of 1,755 errors, Yikes.

Yeah there are always a lot of errors don't worry. Windows logs absolutely anything that ever happens to the computer. Too look at what the errors are just right click on one and click properties. It will then tell you unless Windows doesn't know what it is.

Very unlikely. Wait until the next time it happens and when it does, restart your computer and then go straight to the event viewer. Then check for any errors that occured within the past hour of it screwing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom