New motherboard and Processor help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chelsea_lover17

Baseband Member
Hello.

Im looking to get a new processor and motherboard and also a new power supply.

I dont really know where to look and not to sure what im looking for exactly so i was hoping some of you guys could help.

I need the motherbaord to have an agp slot, as my current graphics card is agp. It would also be good if it could have a PCI-express slot aswell, seeing as its near impossible to get agp cards now days.

I currently have two 512mb sticks of ram. Adding up to a gig in total, so would need the motherboard to able to handle that. Which im guessing they all can? It would also be good if they would have an extra slot or 2.

Processors wise, im not too bother, just thats it fairly good and not too expensive. Prefferably agp. But not too bothered. My current processor is AMD sempron 2600+, MMX, 3d now, 1.8ghz. Which i believe to be pretty poor. So obviously something better than that.

Power supply wise, i need something that is going to be strong enough to run my Nivida geforce 7300gt. Which my currently 400w is not.

Cheers for the help.

:)

You are working with ancient history at this time. First for going with a new board prepare for a total upgrade. You don't have to go for the latest quad core cpu while preparing for a new build will see the need for a new video card as well. The few older boards that saw both AGP and PCI-Express slots are made by a low end make.

DDR2 will be the memory on boards at this time with DDR3 soon to see DDR3 boards available. For the new board you will want at least 2gb of memory while noting prices on DDR2 memory have fallen sharply.

What do you mainly use the system for? It doesn't sound like much gaming is done there. Moving up when selecting a new dual core cpu will depend on the board you decide on. For AMD you can find some good prices on AM2 and AM2+ boards with cpus seeing 2.4-3+ghz clock speeds depending on the model.

Instead of sticking with an old AGP card you could get a motherboard like theGigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G and getting like an AMD athlon 5000+ or something. The motherboard has an onboard radeon HD 3200 and a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot so you can add another card or do hybrid crossfire.

You are working with ancient history at this time. First for going with a new board prepare for a total upgrade. You don't have to go for the latest quad core cpu while preparing for a new build will see the need for a new video card as well. The few older boards that saw both AGP and PCI-Express slots are made by a low end make.

DDR2 will be the memory on boards at this time with DDR3 soon to see DDR3 boards available. For the new board you will want at least 2gb of memory while noting prices on DDR2 memory have fallen sharply.

What do you mainly use the system for? It doesn't sound like much gaming is done there. Moving up when selecting a new dual core cpu will depend on the board you decide on. For AMD you can find some good prices on AM2 and AM2+ boards with cpus seeing 2.4-3+ghz clock speeds depending on the model.

Thanks for the reply.

I dont do alot of gaming. Manly stick to my 360. However i like to play the occastional game.

I found this motherboard: Newegg.com - ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 LGA 775 VIA PT880 Pro/PT880 Ultra ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards It has an agp and pci-e slot so i wouldnt need to buy a new graphics card.

I can see the motherboard isnt that good, but it will do an ok job for me on my limited budget wont it? Im not too sure on the processor to get tho?

Thanks.

hit up that antec earthwatts 380 for the money it can't be beat :p

although I gotta agree with eyecpc agp is... agp lol :D

I would say for the easiest upgrade, get the suggested 780G motherboard.
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

The onboard graphics on that board will be better than what your current AGP can do. Use this motherboard with an AMD CPU (Athlon 64 X2 4600+ or higher is good) and 2GB of DDR2 memory and you will be all set. Plus it is ready for an upgrade to a better video crad if you need one. With this board, you can sell your old graphics card to make a little more.

The Antec Earthwatts 380 is a great power supply, but another great one would be Rosewill RP-500, which for your system would be plenty of power.

what's your budget exactly? i have the feeling that we are throwing all these possibilities at you and we don't know how much you can spend on it and such. so if you give us a price range we can accomodate your needs ;)

The Antec Earthwatts 380 is a bit underpowered even for a budget build and leaves no room for expansion. Rosewill and Asrock alike are both bottom of the barrel names there while a move towards a board by Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, Abit, DFI, eVGA is a definite step in the right direction.

Peter.Cort is quite correct on asking about the budget you have in mind. Moving out of an old Scoket A build into either a much newer Intel or AMD case means almost an endless list of hardwares to throw at you. You can still get into some quality hardwares without spending a fortune however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom