Anyone still uses floppy on a High End Gaming machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Anyone still uses floopy on a High End Gaming machine?

i have used floppy's like once or twice in my life to transfer old files off a computer to a new one, but thats the extent of it.. if you're installing raid drivers, floppy's are the way to go. also if you're flashing bioses they are handy but unnecessary this day and age.

i used a floppy drive to install my RAID 0 array a year ago on xp, after that i took it off. hopefully i won't have to do that with my nehalem system.

I put a floppy on my rig, I've used it once to transfer midi files from my pc to my digital piano. Thats about it. But, I think its a good thing to have, just in case all **** breaks loose and your floppy drive is your last resort.

That's what I got mine for. Plus for Memtest and flashing a bios. But i've never once used it for any of that.

I definitely would say keep it and put it in. It doesn't hurt to have one. A floppy drive will not mess with system performance, it only gets used when you actually access it, and only then does it use system resources.

I occasionally use it as a quick boot device, for quick file transfers (used it a lot in school because our high school wouldn't allow USB drives because they "were too risky for program stealing and viruses" [I think it was because the IT department was too lazy to actually bother with these things and just said "meh, whatever, just make it a rule"]).

I definitely would say keep it and put it in. It doesn't hurt to have one. A floppy drive will not mess with system performance, it only gets used when you actually access it, and only then does it use system resources.

And the system resources it uses are next to nothing. Considering my first computer, an Intel 386 had one, they aren't a big deal.

Of course it also had a 5 1/4" if you really didn't like to use up resources :p.

Sound like top notch computer has them too :D So ill use it then.

Thanks for all your help.

Now I need to find a spot for these, since I dont think it uses an IDE nor a 4 molex connector. Meh only time will determine where everything goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom