starting case mod business

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would... but there is no rep or thanking here lol, so I won't search for it

it was a great video though (albeit short)

edit:

ninja posted

too bad i have dial up, i'll try to load it, it will take an hour or so before i can view it but it might eventually play. Thanks.

Im not sure if it was you ho did this commandercup but im going to use the splash paint for the limited edition one...it won't be blood, just some red splash's (because the case theme/colour is red). Im probably gonna order 2 of the same case some time with int the next week or two, so i'll mod one lightly, and do the limited edition one and post the pics up... im thinking about buying an air brush later on to do some really nice paint jobs too.

yeah, I did the red blood splatter

if you want to do just a splash instead of splatter, try filling a spray paint cap a tiny bit and then just tipping it in a single spot on the case

what would u guys suggest to paint the cases, like the base colour, i want it to me flat black, what should i use? and how should i apply it? also, i was thinking about putting a gloss over it to protect it, what kind of gloss and again how should i apply it?

Thanks

... this won't be your primary funding source right?

you can't expect to go out and make money in a field that is already filled with experienced businesses...

anyways...

pick neutral colors, blacks, reds, blues and stick with those for cases you stock.

make sure you start a website that supports custom options so people can choose to commision a variation of a case from you, or try to find ways to get them to contact you personally for totally custom quotes.

for painting...

you need to either remove all the paint (preferable) or you need to scuff it up when it comes from the factory. you can't just paint over it or it will fall off in a week

you'll need to use primers, probably self etching if you want it to stick better, and you'll need quite a few coats of that with sanding in between to get a super smooth coat.

after the primer is on, you'll need your choice of color which can be flat/matte or gloss or a mixture depending on the companies you choose. you'll spray on multiple coats, sanding in between.

after you finish painting with your main color, you'll be using clear coats not 'gloss' to protect the finish... however if you choose to use them, you'll be making your paint glossier, thus they will no longer be matte/flat. you'll do a couple coats of that.

once that is finished, if you want a professional finish, you can wet sand with 800+ grit sand paper and then buff/polish/wax

if that is too much work then you can skip the sanding in between coats and just skip the finishing portion, but the paint job will definitely look home made... it will not look factory or autobody quality at all...

my recommendation is to not paint the cases... if you plan on marketing them as high quality, you'll be spending at least a week per case...

^what about brush strokes of the clear coats? but im gonna be cutting, and it will probably get scuffed up in the process, im going to have to paint them, which isn't a problem as i want them to look professional. I may make a site, i may not, i'll sell them on ebay, if they are a hit, and im making a small profit, i may consider a site to boost revenue. No this is not my only source of income. Thanks for the advice. For the paint, what kind of air sol paint though, because i don't think i can just use normal spray paint can i?

Ps... i'll prob be doing several cases at a time so if it takes a week to do all the coats (which by the way, im setting up a clean room environment for painting) then i'll have several finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom