help with some choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spigen

In Runtime
EDIT:

Well I'am about to build a new rig. Here is my list of parts so far...

CPU:
Intel Q6600

MOB:
ASUS P5E3 PREMIUM, ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA ATX, ASUS P5E Deluxe, or the Intel DX48BT2 ATX
-they all seem to be around the same price, any personal suggestions?

Memory:
OCZ Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400)

GPU:
Ati HD 4870x2

HD:
WD velociraptor 300 gig
WD caviar black 1TB

CPU cooler:
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle

PSU:
ULTRA x3 1000 watt (or other recommendations.)

Case:
Antec 900 or Cosmos S
-any other suggestions besides NZXT Tempest

Thanks for the suggestions and help.

Ouch that's going to empty your wallet.

PCxxxxx means the speed at which the RAM runs at. Divide that number by 8 and you get the speed that it runs at in MHz.

DDR3 still really isn't worth the money but if you want to go for it you should probably go for a higher speed like PC14400 which is 1600MHz. OCZ or Patriot are your best choice there. Corsair I've had to RMA a number of times the past few months.

As for the PSU go for something more along the lines of this. 1000 watts isn't necessary for a single GPU. Don't go for Ultra either.

Well I'am about to build a new rig. Here is my list of parts so far...

CPU:
Intel Q6600 or the Intel Q9450
- Is the upgrade worth the extra 100 dollars?

MOB:
ASUS P5E3 PREMIUM, ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA ATX, ASUS P5E Deluxe, or the Intel DX48BT2 ATX
-they all seem to be around the same price, any personal suggestions?

Memory:
DDR3 2x2Gig set. I'm a bit confused on what PC10600, PC12800, etc... means. suggestion?
OCZ, Patriot, Cosair?

GPU:
Ati HD 4870x2

HD:
WD velociraptor 300 gig
WD caviar 1TB

CPU cooler:
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle

PSU:
ULTRA x3 1000 watt

Case:
Antec 900...seems like a nice case, good reviews, and a good price compared to the Cosmos S and Antec 1200.

Thanks for the suggestions and help.

Wow.. I have a lot to recommend to change...

Stick with the Q6600, or get the Q9550 instead (Q9450's multiplier is really low, plus its discontinued)

Biostar I45, high FSB Support from quite a cheap board (has a record in fact)

DDR3 isn't worth it

Don't get a Velociraptor, too pricey for the space you get, and its not as fast as they claim anyways. Check the Western Digital Black 1TB instead.

PSU is highly overkill for 1 HD 4870X2, if you plan on getting two later on, a Corsair 750tx is more than enough. Get it from Buy.com for $100 and its $90 if you use Google Checkout for the first time

EDIT: the Silverstone 750w is also pretty nice, you could go either way

Antec 900, not so great case, its capabilities with Wire Management stick, plus they are quite loud and dusty. How about a NZXT Tempest?

silverstone is great, but go with wateva is cheaper. pretty much everything vernong said along with a set of g.skill PI 1066Mhz 2x2gb

the only good choice you made which was good was the cooler, i rec, u get tx-2 thermal paste with it too. ahh yeah a nzxt tempest would be good, or even a nzxt lexa blackline or normal thats up u.

GPU:
Ati HD 4870x2

Now i don't have my doctorate in mathematics but last time i checked.....

x2 = 1 Ati Hd 4870 + 1 Ati Hd 4870 = So then i guess that would mean he's getting 2 Ati Hd 4870s. Which as far as i can tell is contrary to some of your posts such as:

Exhibit A:
PSU is highly overkill for 1 HD 4870X2, if you plan on getting two later on, a

Exhibit B:
1000 watts isn't necessary for a single GPU. Don't go for Ultra either.

In conclusion i believe that he is planning on getting 2 gpus and not one....And thus proving that OJ is could have never committed those murders. Defense rests...

lol. Yes the hd 4870x2 is two GPUs. just on one board, but I've heard that it requires a bit of power. plus in the future if I feel like cross firing another one my power supply should be good to go if I go for the 1000 watt.

- There are other 1000 watt psu than ultra. I've just heard good things about them and there cable management capabilities, the only thing I don't like about it is the 300 dollar price tag.

-DDR3 ram isn't too expense know, you can get some nice 4 gig sets from 200-500 dollars. The sets I was looking at was around 300.

- why not a nice motherboard, get a nice one know and you don't have to upgrade in the near future.
- What would be your choice between the ones I listed?

- havn't really heard much about Biostar, but I've heard that Intel makes really stable boards and Asus makes really nice boards and is good for overclocking, which I would be doing on the Q6600.

- not really a fan of the Tempest.

If i were in your position though, from what i've heard, and what i've read it sounds like it might be a better decision to build a new pc a few months from now with that new processor coming out which (i'm not savvy on this) i think requires a new mobo chipset. I'm probably wrong on this someone help me out here.

Ouch that's going to empty your wallet.

PCxxxxx means the speed at which the RAM runs at. Divide that number by 8 and you get the speed that it runs at in MHz.

DDR3 still really isn't worth the money but if you want to go for it you should probably go for a higher speed like PC14400 which is 1600MHz. OCZ or Patriot are your best choice there. Corsair I've had to RMA a number of times the past few months.

As for the PSU go for something more along the lines of this. 1000 watts isn't necessary for a single GPU. Don't go for Ultra either.

Right know the total on this system is 2282.00
-but should be a little less because. The 4870x2 should be cheaper than two 4870s. right?
-plus a cheaper psu would make it even cheaper.
-my price range is around 2000 bucks, well that is what my dad is giving me. I can supply the difference in price

If i were in your position though, from what i've heard, and what i've read it sounds like it might be a better decision to build a new pc a few months from now with that new processor coming out which (i'm not savvy on this) i think requires a new mobo chipset. I'm probably wrong on this someone help me out here.

If thats the case then the new quad extremes would drop in price, and would be a cheap upgrade in the future.

- also I priced a q6600, biostar i45, 4870x2, ocz reaper 4 gig ddr2, cosair 750xt set up, its about 1800 bucks. like I said my dad is paying 2 grand. so is an extra 300 bucks out of my pocket worth the bump up from (ddr2 - ddr3, 750 watt - 1000 watt, p45 to x48 MOB)

The 4870x2 should be cheaper than two 4870s. right?
Okay i hope i'm not getting punk'd or anything but what the heck is "The 4870x2"

From my logic this means two 4870s. In which case the above statement computes to 0.0 % sense.

Please someone tell me that i'm right or just put me out of my misery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom