CPU OC'ing Ability

Status
Not open for further replies.
generally it is a bit nerve wracking. But the 2500 barton core if one of the most safely overclockable chips. I dont have any good links to post, but if you just google overclocking or 2500 to 3200 or something like that, youll get a few articles you can read through and peice it all together.

I suppose I'll just go with an adequaly cooled 3200+ chip with pc3200 RAM and that should be efficient for me =) I don't want to risk burning something up, because its only worth OC'ing if you do it and get a noticeable increase. Appearantly thats what I heard sithspawn is that the 2500+ is indeed easily OC-able and capable of achieving 3200+ speeds with air cooling and the 3200+ chip is basically 'not as meant for overclocking' I guess you could say I can't word it right, but rather you don't get that much of a performance gain because it gets too hot too quickly since its already at fast speeds or something to that effect I'm not entirely sure =P

a 2500 to a 3200 is a very big performance gain. and as long as you have adequate cooling on it (generally anything better than stock) it should be fine. But dont do anthing your not comfortable with. If you would prefer to be ultra safe, then go with the 3200.

well like I said I won't be using stock cooling, Kangaroo says he has the coolermaster jet and that got him a 10C drop in CPU temperature so I'm hoping for something around the same. If you overclock a 2500+ are you necessarily gonna put it at 400MHZ and then you'll also be able to have the pc3200 ram run at its full 400MHz capacity? the 2500+ is half the price of the 3200+ so it'd be pretty awesome to pay half the price and gain just as much performance, but my main problem is questioning my abilities. if a stock 2500+ is 11x166 would it handle going to 11x200 or are we talking major cooling needs or unlocking the multiplier? cause theres no way I'd bother with unlocking the multiplier.

Sithspawn, you have an 2500+ raised to a 3200+ level right and you have pc3200 RAM? Did you have to raise the Vcore or anything like that and would you say the coolermaster jet would provide good cooling. My MBM says my CPU is generally around 57C but the SiSoftware Sandra program will say like 4C lower than that and so does my BIOS, and hopefully if I get 10C lower from the jet that'll be like 45C, that seem reasonable?

found this OC'ing link:

http://www.slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18678

Basically, if I don't unlock the multiplier then all I gotta do is raise the FSB of the 2500+ from 166 to 200 having 11x200 just like the 3200+ chip. All thats needed is adequate cooling which like you said sith, anything better than stock, should do. With that though, I would probably need to raise my vcore a little bit and watch out for my PCI Frequency. It says 133 and 166MHZ FSB CPU's have PCI running at 33MHZ ant 150MhZ FSB CPUs have PCI running at 50MHz, isnt there a way to change the PCI frequency when you overclock so that no damage goes to it? I'm running at 1.65 vcore now, would would be adequate enough for raising the 2500+ from 11x166 to 11x200

well said sithspawn. overclocking is great once you know how to do it, and how to do it without stuffing it up and having to get new piece of hardware.

thanks raekwon and i do agree. You need to read up/know these things before you even think about trying or you can potentially turn a saving into a big expense.

With the 2500, you dont need to raise the voltage or anything like that or unlock the multiplier or anything. Just increase the FSB to 200 and have sufficient cooling. Use PC 3200 Ram and set ur agp frequency to 66. Of course, dont just whack it onto 200, put it up in probably 5 Mhz increments and check to make sure it boots. once it has reached 200, if it does, run a series of CPU heavy tests, such as Torch or Prime 95 for about an hour. Take note of your CPU temp at proably 10-15 minute intervals and at the end. If it is not too hot (less than 60 is okay, but a slight cause for concern, less than 50 is fantastic) you should be fine. of course, keep an eye on the temperature (like you always should) and if anyhting bothers you either lower the FSB or get better cooling!!

I have a water cooler on mine and if you can afford it i strongly recommend it ;)

water and electrical components.....never been to high on my 'to do' list =P I know most come with shut off features and whatnot if a hose were to be pulled out but still, with my luck a tube would rupture all over my processor. Gonna have to deal with air for now.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-103-141&depa=0

Thats the fan Im getting. I ordered it from zipzoomfly though cause it was $9 cheaper there. Right now my system CPU is running at 57C but its also hottest part of the day right now. Later tonight it'll be around 55C and thats WITHOUT overclocking. I'll have to wait and see how good of a job of cooling the new fan PLUS I got the arctic silver 5 thermal compound with it does on this 2400+. I'm leaning towards buying the 2500+ chip, it's half the price of the 3200+ and even if I can't get it all the way to 11x200 I should be able to get it close and technically have my pc3200 ram run at or near pc3200 speeds. If I get my CPU to 11x185 my RAM can be at 2x185 or 2x200 but wouldn't there be a little bit of a bottleneck with RAM working at a faster frequency?

In the future I'm looking to get the 128mb GeForce 6800, will having the agp at 66 still be adequate? What frequency should the PCI be set at?

Sithspawn, I GREATLY appreciate this help you're giving me. I need to learn more about what I'm working with so I think with my new fan and whatnot I'll be able to cool the processor down so I'm leaning towards 2500+ chip =)

just found this great review on the 2500+ Barton

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD02MTQ=

Once again they talk about only have semi-enthusiest cooling, so it doesn't take much beyond stock to keep it cool. He got his up to 212MHz and they got all the benchmarks, thing did pretty damn good. Beat the 3200+ in most if not all the tests, but couldn't topple the P4's 3.2GHz but its like come on, that intel chip is WAY more expensive and if you could fit another GHz into the amd chip it'd smear them, but oh well

hahahaha. exactly. and the pci should just be left where it is normally set at. I have my agp set at 66Mhz and it should be the same for the new graphics card. Sounds like your doing all the right things with all the articles your reading!! soon youll probably know more about this than i do lol.

About the water cooler - i was a bit iffy about that when i first got it. But they put a LOT of effort into makign sure that the hoses are leak proof, so i feel fairly safe with mine. But i can completely understand about not wanting to put one in.

It sounds like the chip you are currently running is running a bit hot. I had a chip like that too. Before i had my 2500 i had a 2100, and it used to run at about 60 degrees with a volcano 9 sitting on top of it!! then i got the 2500 barton, overclocked it to a 3200 and with the same fan on it it was running at about 50. so i think some chips just run a bit hot anyway...

and with the pentium chip - if you could get a p43.2 for the price of an athlon 2500 oud be doing good. those thigns are around 1000 bucks here in oz.

Anyway good luck with it all. any other questions just post on here. glad i could help you and get you thinking about it a bit. Just do it safe and youll have no chance of burning it out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom