I need a new Mother Board...

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashedpumpkins

In Runtime
So I'm fairly positive my Mother board is partially fried or something. I was having some PSU issues. My computer would boot sometimes for minutes and other times hours before it turned off. Then one time my PSU started to smoke. Ever since then when I turn the PC on the Monitor does nothing. Just says no signal. On the Mother Board there's two little digital numbers that randomly change. I'm not sure why or for what. But ever since my PSU smoked the numbers don't appear. It's just two dashes like " - - ". So after replacing the PSU I've come to realize that I'm pretty sure my Mother Board is a goner too. All of my computer parts are in my signature. First off does anyone have any insight as to what the issue may be? And if it is dead should I get another 680i board or should I go with something better now? I figure times have changed a little since I built this computer so there may be better options.

Thanks in advance!

Second hand smoke probably gave your motherboard cancer. LOL

Alright now, are you using some big cpu fan? maybe it bent your motherboard, that would be my guess. Or maybe the motherboard is just too old, or defective.

Or lastly maybe you need more watts on your power supply.

actually i have a 680i and i doubt its too old xD even if you bought at release it wouldnt be too old. the reading " - - " can actually mean anything. so ur best bet is to check all your connections, i guess you could check if your mobo is bent but i doubt it. a big one with the 680i is, make sure you have the molex plug near your memory dimms plugged in even if your not using sli, because alot of times video cards dont get enough juice. otherwise i rekon u got a dead board in which case i suggest

if dont want to spemnd too much but same overclocking optential as ur board

cheap p35 (prob ip35)

or if want nice new mobo, asus p5q or gigabyte EP45-ds3

actually i have a 680i and i doubt its too old xD even if you bought at release it wouldnt be too old. the reading " - - " can actually mean anything. so ur best bet is to check all your connections, i guess you could check if your mobo is bent but i doubt it. a big one with the 680i is, make sure you have the molex plug near your memory dimms plugged in even if your not using sli, because alot of times video cards dont get enough juice. otherwise i rekon u got a dead board in which case i suggest

if dont want to spemnd too much but same overclocking optential as ur board

cheap p35 (prob ip35)

or if want nice new mobo, asus p5q or gigabyte EP45-ds3

he needs an nvidia mobo as im sure he wants to continue using both of his 8800s.

i just got an XFX 780i from newegg for a rig i am building for a customer and holy crap it is awesome (looking anyway...haven't quite started building it yet).
or a P5N-D would be a rather inexpensive alternative.

Great info guys. I've already rehooked everything in my PC and taken things apart. Nothings misshaped or unplugged. I do have the power connector plugged in for my Video Cards on the Mobo. The PSU was a Corsair 620W. I believe it went out on a 1000 mile move. Got knocked around too much.

I'm not too worried about price so the 780i is looking pretty hot. Good board for later upgrades. Now there's a $30 difference between the EVGA and XFX 780i board. Is there any major differences? I typically go with EVGA and I still will if there's nothing significantly different.

Thanks again!

The one I posted was the eVGA 780i FTW board

Its a 780i thats modified by eVGA with extra features...

Oh you're right... I just looked over some of the features. I think I'm going to go ahead and buy the EVGA 780i. Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom