Toshiba laptop shared video memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athlon

In Runtime
Hey,

I just got a Toshiba A200-244 laptop with 4GB of ram. 1404mb is being used for the display so the rest of the system has 3GB. Is that much really needed for the display? I dont use this laptop to play games or anything, just a load of applications and surfing the net ect...

I tried to look in the BIOS to see if I could change it but I couldnt.

Any advise? Shall I just leave it?

Thanks

Hello,

that 1404MB is not just for the display. That is for everything you have running. Be it the web browser, email apps, music software and everything you have running.

It does seem a bit high but i am guessing you are running Vista so that would be about right. Only the process DRM is for the display when you open the task manager. Everything else is for the other stuff you are running.

Open Task Manager via Ctrl+Alt+Del and then take a screen shot of it and post it up via Imageshack or Photobucket for us to review.

Cheers,
Mak

taskmanagerdu6.jpg

I dont get it, so if the 1404MB is used for the processes and stuff then what is the rest of it for? In dxdiag the 1404MB is the approx total memory of the GPU. Surely the 3GB of system RAM is for processes, no? Yeah i am running Vista Home Premium.

Cheers

Hello,

What Video card do you have? I can better explain this if I know what video card you have. Also do you have a 32 Bit or 64 Bit OS?

But from your screen i see you have 35% Resources used. Which means that your stuff that you have running there is using appromiately 1433MB worth of your RAM.

Get me that info and i will be able to explain it better.

Cheers,
Mak

The Toshiba A200-244

Graphics adapter manufacturer : ATI type : ATI Mobility™ Radeon® HD2400 supporting HyperMemory™ technology
memory : 128 MB dedicated VRAM (up to 895 MB total available graphics memory using HyperMemoryâ„¢ technology with 2 GB system memory)
memory type : DDR Video RAM (resp. DDR Video RAM and DDR system memory combined)
connected bus : 16x PCI Express

Hello,

From the looks of it it is a shared memory video card. So you have 1404MB dedicated to video memory which leaves the remaining for the rest of the system.

Which is alright. Integrated Video isnt the greatest. But from what i can tell it is Integreated. So you were right that just about 1.5GB is used for video only and the other 2.5 is used for the rest.

Cheers,
Mak

Right. Ok thanks for your help. There isnt a way to change it is there? Nothing in the BIOS

Cheers

Hello,

In the BIOS you can only change how much of the shared memory is used for the GFX Card. But you would only end up lowering it. Which might cause some of the stuff you run to be slower.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom