Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueprint

Baseband Member
my dvd rom and dvd burner is not working no more need a new one.It's ide

I want to increase my memory from current 512 to at least 2-3gb

untitled.JPG - Free Image Hosting at TurboImageHost

I'm a computer rookie not sure what all this means

and my processor is a pentium 4 2.8 is that good enough? I do multitasking ,I don't game or any thing mostly just watch a movie and have many webpages open at the same time it freezes at times

do I need a new mother board to get a better processor ?

I can't get new pc at time

Technically you can keep the same board and get a better processor (I am guessing your motherboard is socket 478) but it wouldn't be that much better, but if you really want a new good processor you will want a motherboard with socket LGA 775 (or AM2 if you are an AMD fanboy ;)) You can get a decent dual core CPU for about $70 that will be good for what you do. Look on Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! for a DVD burner if you are in the states they are about $20-$30. As for RAM I'm not too good with it so someone else should help you with that.

The extra RAM would definitely help you out. I can't be sure if you need DDR or DDR2, as that information was not in your image. If you can post the make and model of the computer (such as Dell Dimension 3500, or whatever), we could tell you for sure.

Another thought is to invest in a graphics card. Since you don't game, it wouldn't have to be an expensive one. You mainly want something to take the stress of playing your movies off of the processor as much as possible.

The extra RAM would definitely help you out. I can't be sure if you need DDR or DDR2, as that information was not in your image. If you can post the make and model of the computer (such as Dell Dimension 3500, or whatever), we could tell you for sure.

Another thought is to invest in a graphics card. Since you don't game, it wouldn't have to be an expensive one. You mainly want something to take the stress of playing your movies off of the processor as much as possible.

the model of the computer is dell 3000

everything seems to be ide I need an ide mother board and products

I need a new dvd rom, dvd burner

memory I will probably want it to be 2-3 gb overall

I'm open to a graphics card

**** what about a sound card ?

will probably just get a brand new computer with sata etc next year just need solid upgrades now for school

I'd just upgrade ram to 1-2 gb and forget about any other upgrades
and it's DDR, make sure you get DDR and not DDR2 or DDR3

Computer memory upgrades for Dell Dimension 3000 Desktop/PC from Crucial.com
your system cannot handle more than 2GB of ram
and I wouldn't order from Crucial.com, just to give you more info.

if sound quality has been good so far, forget about a sound card

Sony NEC Optiarc Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 20X DVD±R Burner
there ya go, cheapest IDE dvd burner on egg

thanks ,but does the dvd rom and burner come with new cords since those say oem and that normally means no cords ? I'm pretty sure the ones I have aren't nothing any more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom