SATA and IDE+Formats

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Tofu~

Baseband Member
Well firstly i wish to say Hi :D this is my first time posting

Well I would want to know that why SATA hard drive is better then IDE i heard its because the transfer speed is better?
and also which format is best for hard drives FAT32 or NTFS cause i looked through "My computer" and found this format thing

Thanks if you can help me out with this~

Typically Windows XP/Vista runs default on NTFS, and Mac OS X runs default on FAT32. Also, some linux distros run default on FAT32, although most I believe are now able to read NTFS. If you're installing Windows, use NTFS I'd say. Google can provide lots of information on this issue.

I'll leave the SATA vs. IDE question to someone that can succinctly answer it.

ide - vs sata

sata has faster transfer rates, a smaller cable, which means better air flow

ide has slower transfer rates, a large ribbon cable, which means less air flow, and worse wire management

OSX dose not run on FAT32 I don't know where to tell you how worng you are on that one it uses HSF+ or UFS as it is based in part on NeXT step.

Wikipedia said:
File systems under Mac OS X Mac OS X uses a file system that it inherited from classic Mac OS called HFS Plus. HFS Plus is a metadata-rich and case preserving file system. Due to the Unix roots of Mac OS X, Unix permissions were added to HFS Plus. Later versions of HFS Plus added journaling to prevent corruption of the file system structure and introduced a number of optimizations to the allocation algorithms in an attempt to defragment files automatically without requiring an external defragmenter.
Filenames can be up to 255 characters. HFS Plus uses Unicode to store filenames. On Mac OS X, the filetype can come from the type code, stored in file's metadata, or the filename.
HFS Plus has three kinds of links: Unix-style hard links, Unix-style symbolic links and aliases. Aliases are designed to maintain a link to their original file even if they are moved or renamed; they are not interpreted by the file system itself, but by the File Manager code in userland.
Mac OS X also supports the UFS file system, derived from the BSD Unix Fast File System via NeXTSTEP. However, as of Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard), Mac OS X can no longer be installed on a UFS volume, nor can a pre-Leopard system installed on a UFS volume be upgraded to Leopard. [1]

Tofu - NTFS is the current file system for windows based OS's an I strongly doubt that you could install XP or Vista on to a drive formatted in such a way - FAT32 is not even supported by Vista an XP will format a drive in NTFS an so will Vista. Stick to NTFS if your not experianced.

OSX dose not run on FAT32 I don't know where to tell you how worng you are on that one it uses HSF+ or UFS as it is based in part on NeXT step.

Tofu - NTFS is the current file system for windows based OS's an I strongly doubt that you could install XP or Vista on to a drive formatted in such a way - FAT32 is not even supported by Vista an XP will format a drive in NTFS an so will Vista. Stick to NTFS if your not experianced.

ok since everyone say support it i'll stick with it
Thanks for your posting
so which means i have to reformat every HD into a NTFS then =D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom