Big problem... CPU + Thermal Paste

Status
Not open for further replies.

myowngod

In Runtime
So I went to lap my Q6600 - And quickly found out I used too much thermal paste during my first install... problem is - somehow a couple strands of thermal paste managed to find their way to the bottom of the chip... the side with the important stuff... now the paste is mx2 non conducive... but it worries me non-the-less... anything I can/should do.. or should i hope for the best?

wow, so thermal paste melted or something? how much did you put in there? and how do you know it got inside?

Wow, your in big trouble, fear of lossing the mobo and cpu. I don't think there is anything you can do.
(id say clean it, but you can't lol, maybe try air spray? no clue what to do there.)

Just use a soft cloth, be careful, and wipe off the bottom of the processor. also (if it's a big problem) wipe off the top of the pins in the cpu socket.
Main thing we want here is to make sure all the pins still make contact with the cpu.
Otherwise it isn't really a big problem, just remember to put a bit less next time you do it :)

wow, thats the most fragile part of everything,

I'd just let it be unless it caues a problem.

^no, that's the last thing you want to do, clean it off and re apply it, for a quad your gonna want to be using the cross method, start a 1/4 inch from each corner, and it is a very thin line overlapping in the center.

It didnt get in the mobo - just on the bottom of the processor chip - it ran over enough such that when i lifted a little thread/string of paste came away and flipped to the underside - I'm gonna try to gently wipe it off...

ohh then it should not be a problem, try to get an anti static cloth though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom