• Windows NT4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
mrdinkel said:
Plus, being able to hibernate is always a big plus.

Give it time, it will stop working :p!! hahahah. My laptop was set to automatically hibernate when i closed the lid, but after about 5 months, it started lockin up coming out of hibernation! Or maybe it's just my settings. Nahhhhhhhhhhhh :)

Well, let's see -- I've got a 2.2GHz Intel P4 Compaq 8000 Series machine running XP Home, my old Dell XPS450 running WinME (upgraded from 98 - big misteak), my wife's Compaq Presario 5000 series running WinME (as delivered), and I have two machines at work running Windows 2000 Professional.

XP's cool -- I like the fancy stuff they did and my machine's fast enough that it doesn't slow things down. Gotta laugh at how MS tries to dummy things down in networking, only to end up confounding everyone in the process. Wish they's stop tinkering and moving things around. I'm getting old and relearning is getting harder and harder!!!

Windows ME. I used to use a non-legit copy of XP Pro. [NTFS], but I thought about the potential consequences. :(

Consiquences

I have thougth of the cosouquences but i felt that millions of people download illegal songs movies files prgorams and none of them get in trouble so the chnace of me getting in trouble is slim to none.

xp is by far my fav, since there are so many updates for it and it is so stable, im in class right now working with win 2k, not as stable

I use XP Pro... I would never use XP home though.. If Linux had a better following with software I would use it.

i have xp home and i love it, i could use the upgrade to pro, ill try and dl it from kazaa lmao, i dl so much sh*t from there, i got msoffice and all of the norton programs, i love that place

I must comment on this one.

I put five checks on the poll: Linux, Mac, Win98 SE, Win95, and WinXP (that list is in no particular order).

I'm surprised how many people here think WinXP is the best. Maybe out of Windows, but it has it's problems. I agree with (whoever said this, I'm not going to bother finding quotes now, I'm feeling to lazy) the fact that MS shouldn't have bothered to make things like networking "easier". They just end up making it less capable and essentially worse. I do like XP and think that MS has put things on it they should have done ages ago, such as CD burning, actual private documents (and a proper multiuser system where you need a password to get in), something to unzip compressed folders, as well as the strength not to crash the computer when one program has a problem, and other things. However, some things are complete annoyances, such as all the wizards. Ok. They do have their uses, but do we really need them to unzip a folder, burn a CD, or setup a network? Besides, unlike Mac and Linux, not crashing when one program crashes is not entirely fool proof. That being said, I do like XP as an OS though. Believe it or not, I have managed to bring up the blue screen of death in WinXP. It is changed though, and no longer says fatal error or makes pathetic attempts to get back into Explorer. It basically says that there has been a major error and the computer will need to be restarted (press any key to do so). When you restart, once you're back in the desktop it asks if you would like to send an error report to MS (you know, like when any program must be forced to crash). Then again, considering the things I put my computer through, I wouldn't expect your average Windows user to get to this situation. (In Win98 I saw the bluescreen virtually everyday.)

Linux is great, and right now I'm planning on downloading ISOs for RH 9 (I had SuSE but didn't like it as much as Red Hat).

Mac OS X Jaguar is excellent, and I'd really like to own a Mac, but unfortunetly I do not. I use Macs out of home, and I'm planning to own one within future years (I'm too happy with my fairly new Inspiron 8200, which I got an amazing deal on through inside sources ;) , and I would have actually gotten a Mac if I hadn't payed so little for my Dell.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom