Emachine died,

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomW

In Runtime
The wifes brother has a almost new Emachine that he said froze up and so he shut it down and now it don't do anything. I got the tower home and took out the hard drive and stuck it in our systemax as a slave and it won't detect it. Is this a good indication that the drive is junk? Tom W

well, first check to make sure (i'm sure you did) that you have the jumper settings correct before you just "stick it in" your system to test it. If you're 100% sure that your jumpers are correct, and your bestest computer geek buddy is 100% sure, then usually it's a sign. also listen to see if it spins up at all. If you don't hear it spin up OR the jumpers are right, and it just doesn't read, there is a good chance that she's done for.

1st, i wana say, dont ever buy emachines... they may be cheap, but u get what u paid for, they suck..

Now to the help..
The drive may be bad, if the system is new, send the drive back if u can, if not, buy a cheap one. or if u got a spare one, put it in there to see if it works.

Hi, I tried the settings on slave since it was on the same cable as the installed hard drive in our systemax, I also for the heck of it tried it on cable select. Its kinda hard to hear but I think it spins up and then stops. I didn't know they were looking at a emachine until they already got it, I did tell him today that they are no good. I tried a old quantum bigfoot 12 gig hard drive in it to see if it acted any different but it didn't, The fans run but thats it. I think there is more wrong than just the hard drive but that is what I tried first. I was just thinking about it, if it was just a bad hard drive shouldn't I still get something on the screen and something about hard disk failure? Tom W

Something could be wrong with the motherboard also, then. When I had a SCSI cable crap out on an old PC of mine, it gave me an error message like: "NO OPERATING SYSTEM FOUND". Do you get that? If not, then your PC isn't even getting as far as the BIOS when it boots up!

ur mobos might be bad, or fried, dont add any new components in pc for now, and bring to to a pc store or sumthing. Try smelling the mobo, and c if there are any unusual smells.

I get no screen at all, the monitor clicks and the green light turns yellow. Like I just added above, I was just thinking if it was just a bad hard drive I still should get a screen and something about hard drive failure shouldn't I ? I don't think they understand how a virus protection works and I wonder if it got something in it that killed it. Tom W

I just looked at the hard drive, it is a western digital WD800, enhanced IDE, 80gig. Are these things much good or are they some cheap piece of crap? Tom W

wd is good brand, its just a older model, the mobo is prolly screwd tho. I wouldnt mess with the pc, and bring it to local hardware store. not a bestbuy or anything, thell just say, ur mobo is fried, buy this one ( 400$)
hehe. If u have a pc store around, go there.

I need to ask the owner how long ago and where he got it and see if there is any kind of warrenty on the stupid thing. Being such a cheap thing it propably only has a 60 day warrenty if anything. I think it is over my head to fix it anyway the way it looks. It kinda acts like my old Pionex when it died, I ended up changing almost every thing in it to get it working again, the Pionex would make a steedy beep when it was messed up, the emachine don't make a sound. Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom