High network traffic = pc shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

C0RR0SIVE

Golden Master
Here recently I have noticed that my main computer has started to shut down for no reason, I have attempted EVERYTHING to replicate the issue till I finally figured out what I am doing when it decides to just power off. I will be running Norton Ghost over the network, or I will start to transfer a LARGE amount of data over the network from or to this machine... And when I say large, I am talking 500gb to 800gb of data. Now, I have also tried other various ways of getting it to shut down, play FEAR on multiplayer on a LAN here at home, no issues, run disk defragmenter, and again no issues. It seems this only happens when uploading/downloading large amounts of data. Event Viewer shows nothing other than, unexpected shutdown

Specs:

MSI K9n Plat
AMD Athlon 6000+
3x 750Gb Western Digital HDD's in RAID 5
1x 750Gb Western Digital for Ghost Images
Raidmax Aurora 600watt

Now, I have checked my voltages on the 12v rails, and everything is stable, less than 0.1 fluctuations depending on what is going on... So my final question is, could it be POSSIBLE that the on board NIC is freaking out and causing the system to completely shut down?

Hello,

It could be that when you try and transfer that large amount of data it basically times out the machine and it shuts down.

Have you tried to move it in smaller chunks? Like 100Gb or smaller at a time?

What OS are you running as well?

Cheers,
Mak

I am running home basic 64bit, but the thing is, if things start to time out, shouldnt it show up in event viewer?? The only thing Event Viewer ever says is that it had an unexpected shutdown. And I can try transfering 2gb and it still does this, so, I am sorta leaning towards my hard drive arrays overheating, could a SATAII hard drive have the ability to shut down a PC with no warning once it starts to overheat??? Because my array gets rather hot when transfering that much data.

Did you ever try cracking open the case and putting a decent sized fan on it and running it through the same 'stress test' that you did when it shut down? Maybe then you can make a better determination as to whether or not it is a thermal shutdown.

I have placed a 120mm fan over the hotswap cage that pushs around 60cfm, it seemed to have helped, but it only lasted a few minutes.

Ok, to make friggen sure, I have removed the hotswap bay, placed hard drives in the tower, with a fan blowing over them, they are cold to the touch now, and it still happens, I have taken a further investigation into event viewer, and have noticed services that end just prior to the computer randomly shutting down with no reason... Umm... I am including an attachment that contains a portion of my logs in event viewer, could someone take a look at that and tell me if it looks a bit like a virus?

Attachments

• event viewer origin-main.zip
    7.4 KB · Views: 6
Hello,

From what i see there are a bunch of errors.

I see a Windows Serach failure. I see a TCPIP error which is the most common one.

Check to make sure that those are what you see under Application and Security. The Windows Search should have a Rec X and the TCPIP should show a Yellow ! icon.

If that is what you see you need to fix your TCPIP as that is what is causing the system failures a lot. Also check to make sure you have Windows Search 4.0 installed.

Cheers,
Mak

So TCPIP issues can cause a system to just power down with out notice??? I was looking more at the services all ending just prior to the shutdown. I couldn't really figure out what was causing them, so, I am no network guru that is for sure, how would I go about fixing the TCPIP issues?

Hello,

I am not 100% positive that a TCPIP issue could cause the system to jsut shut down. But those are the only things i see on there as far as issues go.

From what i know to fix a TCPIP issue you have to go into the Network Connections area under the installed services. From there select TCPIP and there should be some kind of option to repair it. This is just coming from my memory so i could be off on this.

XP TCP/IP Repair 1.0 - Repair your Windows XP Winsock and TCP/IP registry errors

Maybe that will work?

Cheers,
Mak

Hmm, I think I may have found the problem, Roxio was installed on here, and I looked at some other logs, and the first service to end was a Roxio service, removed all of Roxio, and so far I have been able to successfully transfer around 30GB, I think the Roxio's folder manager was interfering with something... I will post back with results later, and I think the TCPIP errors may be coming up because I am only hooked to a hub with a few other computers on it and am using dial up...

EDIT: Ok, Mak thanks a LOT for your help man, it seriously ended up being Roxio, something in there folder manager kept causing SEVERAL services to end when that service ended, uninstalled it, and now I can perform FULL network backups to this machine... Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom