Help with a Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

gman15975

Beta member
Hello everyone, this is my first post, so I am sorry if anything is out of place. But I could use some advice and input.

A friend of mine needs to upgrade his computer and has asked me to do it for him. The computer is a Dell 4700. He needs a case for it, because the power supply isn't powerful enough for the video card, It's quite packed so airflow isn't good I'd imagine and he wants a better looking case. Now I don't mind doing this, but I noticed that the cpu uses a copper heatsink with a duct that channels air to the rear case fan. I thought that if he gets a new case then the duct won't work, so I think just replace the heatsink with a cpu fan and sink, but there aren't 4 holes to mount an aftermarket cpu fan and sink. I tried looking up anything about this problem, but I haven't found a solution, and after spending $600 on upgrades, I wouldn't like to tell him that he needs to buy a new motherboard. Can someone please help me with this, the motherboard is a Dell 0M3918. Thanks

buy anew mobo man lol, u cant really upgrade brand coms much. mobo should have been ur first buy.

buy anew mobo man lol, u cant really upgrade brand coms much. mobo should have been ur first buy.

Oh trust me, after this endeavor, I will never be buying another brand name com ever again, but I'd really like a solution for the time.

What exactly is in place on the motherboard? I'm guessing it probably is a black plastic square around the CPU that would hold the heatsink? Usually those are screwed in, and assuming this is a newer computer with an LGA775 socket, you could probably unscrew that stuff and use a heatsink. If it's an older computer, then it probably is not an LGA775 and you will need to either upgrade the motherboard, or buy an older heatsink to fit that socket type.

I took off the heat sink and there were 4 screws holding in the black bracket for it, and it is a LGA775, says right next to the CPU socket. The screws aren't in an X shape though, like I have seen on some of the other LGA775 sockets, would this be important?

Is this the one. Be careful what hsf you choose. Look how tall those caps are.

That's pretty close, but here is a pic for you guys. And yes I know I have to clean it.

Picture001.jpg

From the picture it looks like they used a specialized motherboard or something. You may be stuck with purchasing a Dell heatsink or using the one you already have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom