My first gaming build-help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a good one, but is this something that is gonna be able to run two 4870s in crossfire?

Sweet, sweet. Thanks for the help so far guys!

Any other suggestions? I'm just trying to get as much info as I can...hoping to order this thing first thing tomorrow.

Oh well I just threw those two on there so I'd have easy access to their specs while I decided. The biostar is a possibility...it's just that I've had a few friends recommend lanpartys. The most important thing is just making sure the mobo can run two 4870s in crossfire. Does 2 PCI-E 16x slots always mean that it can run crossfire?

Oh and I will change the RAM.

Hey guys. Sorry about the new thread, I just really need some help as I'm looking to order my machine first thing tomorrow.

I'm set on getting a single 4870, but am looking to possibly get another down the road and I need a motherboard that will support two of those in crossfire. I want something that will do a full 16x on each card in crossfire, not any of this 8x stuff haha. I've been looking at a ton of different motherboards and the crossfire information is often misleading or vague.

Here's my current setup with one motherboard I think may be a good bet.
https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=10239328

Any mobo recommendations would be helpful! Thanks so much for the help!

Build looks almost just like mine... I went with the gigabyte x48-ds4 (same price almost) motherboard and couldnt be happier with it - the heatsink is big and looks nice - it also was VERY easy to overclock - with no experience... I went with the OCZ Reaper 800 ram... read alot of things about it handling OC'ing well... The x48 vs. p45 motherboards are similar - the x48 offers (marginally) better performance if you plan to crossfire due to the 2 x16 slots - while the p45 forces you to run x8 if you choose to run 2 cards..

My Xigmatek rifle cooler almost doesnt fit in the antec 900 - so it looks perfectly sized lol - but i suggest picking up the mounting bracket for it.. the push pins are a pain and its only an extra 6 bux or so.

For nearly the same price you can pick up a 22" samsung 2ms with an 8000:1 ratio rather than the 1000:1 you have there... its beautiful to say the least... I think the rebate deal is over but mine was 259 after MIR - 269 before...

Seeing as I practically went though exactly what you are - and asked the same exact questions - feel free to ask me :) - Here is what i ended up with:
https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=8820206

I only went with the retail processor because I wanted the spare heaksink to mess around with and it was a 10 dollar difference at the time...

Hey thanks for the suggestions man!

Just a few things:
So are you saying that all x48 mobos will be able to run crossfire with the full 2 x16 slots? Is the one I picked out a good one? I have a few friends that recommended landpartys.

The cooler thing is starting to worry me...I've heard that this Xigmatek is supposed to be one of the best, but it's so big and I read that the mounting bracket you can buy is somewhat permanent...it's sticky and doesn't like to come off the motherboard and those push pins sound pretty annoying. Any other coolers you could recommend?

That monitor sounds nice! I'm looking around for it. It's worth the extra ten bucks.

Oh and I noticed you bought a really nice keyboard and mouse. Do you have to spend that much? I'm running out of money haha.

Thanks.

Well I had that exact board (DFI lanparty) picked out.. but several members here and other places had mentioned problems with them quitting on 'em after a few months... and everyone seemed to recommend the gigabyte boards.. so thats why i went with what i did...

The x48 boards use 2 x16 slots.. p45 will use 2 x8 to crossfire... and since I want to pair my 4870 with a 4870X2 when it comes out - figured it wouldn't hurt to give them the best possible board for it...

The screen ratio is a substantial increase for just 10 bux... so yea.. go for it..

The Mounting bracket seemed like it would be hard to get off- however - just about any other screw in heatsink will also mount to it.. so it wasn't a big deal to me... you can spend some extra cash and go for the Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme - something I am looking into due to how hot it is in my room (can't run 3.6ghz without it getting way too hot..) - but it is substantially more than the Xig - which is aparently only a few degrees less cool... (not worth the money to upgrade really)...

The keyboard was mainly for aesthetics (everything i have is black/blue neon)
And the mouse had a MIR that brought it to 50 bux...

Do you need it? not at all.. but it was within my budget so i figured i'd get everything i wanted while i could (since the X2 isnt out yet... couldnt get that) - Would I do it again... **** yea.. looks bad as **** and i love the mouse.. but if the budget was getting tight... I'd be just fine playing on a standard keyboard and optic mouse... haven't really noticed much performance gain yet...

Well it's definitely between the two for now haha. Thanks for the clarification between the x48 and p45 issue! It's been really hard to figure out just what would actually run two 4870s to their full potential.

Oh so what you're saying is that any aftermarket heatsink is gonna be pretty permanently attached to the motherboard?

Yeah I think I'm just going to get a decent keyboard and mouse...I'm running out of money really quick haha.

Thanks again though man, it's really nice of you to help me out with all this.

I have hit another bump in the road...I just got to thinking about a monitor and I realized that a 4870 will really only show its full potential in 1920 x 1200 resolution and that a 1680 x 1050 woudn't do it justice. But if I were to buy a monitor with 1920 x 1200 res, would one 4870 be able to handle all that, or would I need two? I'm thinking about Crysis specifically...

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom