$850 Gaming Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelethar

Solid State Member
I've researched for about a week now, and I've come down to a point that I may need some help with my rig. And I figured this seems like a hospitable site (I hope). Here's what I have so far:

Newegg.com - Pioneer Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 10X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 32X CD-RW 40X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners $31.99

Newegg.com - RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 500W Power Supply - Computer Cases $94.99 (I'm uneasy about the PSU that it comes with, not sure if it will hold up with my build.)

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives $59.99

Newegg.com - Acer X193W+BD Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2000:1 (ACM) - LCD Monitors $159.99

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TF8200 A2+ AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards $89.99

Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N861-AR GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards $124.99

Newegg.com - A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory 45.99

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor - Processors $112.99

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2B for System Builders 1 Pack - Operating Systems $84.99

Newegg.com - Saitek PZ30AU Black 104 Normal Keys 4 Function Keys USB Wired Standard Eclipse Keyboard - Keyboards $34.99

Newegg.com - Microsoft N71-00007S Black 3 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Optical Wheel Mouse - Mouse $9.99

Brings to a total of about $850. Any ways I can improve upon this? I'm hoping I can bring it down to an even $800, but I don't mind paying a little bit more ($50) to be on the safe side. Thanks in advance for the help.

P.S. Build is meant for Overclocked gaming.

yeah intel is better than amd atm, add marron1s stuff and the rest of your build is great, good job. but i would suggest to get 4gb of ram and maybe vista if you have the cash, its not as bad as you think it is, when you have a system like that, it runs fine.

but if u insist on xp, 2gb will be fine.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I guess I will be going with Intel then. About Vista, I've had some qualms with it. I'm not totally sold on using Vista. I'm still with the ol' XP generation I guess.

Although I can be convinced if it won't be too expensive, but I am willing to go a little over for double the memory.

Oh, and I'm now at $870. But with all the rebates, my averaged guess is it will drop to about 830-840.

trust me, vista is everything xp is and better( if u have 4gb ram), if your gonna be gaming in dx10 then vista is a must anyway. but its you dont like vista or dun care for dx10 then its not worth spending the cash for extra 2gb ram.

Lol, yeah, If I had the money, I would, but I'm on a very tight budget.

Some side questions. Will I be needing a sound card? I'm only going to be using the audio with headphones, and not speakers. I'm guessing the Motherboard already comes with an audio chipset. And will I be needing some additional cooling products?

Yes, if this is going to be an overclocked system, CPU cooling is a must. Look into the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro for good cooling on a budget.

Well, it looks like my set is $900 now. (Minus 150 for monitor and 150 for peripheral/inputs/software, so it's about $600 for the actual rig.)

I'd hate to say it, but is there anything else that I can cut down on the cost for? What I'm aiming for is actually a starters gaming rig that is futureproof. I just need a decent gaming pc for the time being until I can start upgrading. (My old PC broke and I'm borrowing one for the time being.)

Why not buy a used monitor?

Monitor do not have like some type of high failure.

You can prob get a 22 if you buy used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom