My first gaming build-help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffinking

Baseband Member
Hey guys this is my first attempt at building a gaming machine. I'm looking to spend no more than $1500 on everything and I think I've come up with a pretty good setup. However, I have a few concerns and I would greatly appreciate any and all help as I'm looking to order this thing in the next few days.
1. I am torn between 1 Radeon 4870 and 2 Radeon 4850s. Which do you think would perform better for a 22" monitor at 1680 by 1050? Which would give me better FPS?

2. I don't know a heck of alot about Mobos and I want one that supports crossfire because even if I only get the single 4870, I may buy another one a few months down the road and want to have that option.

3. Any help with monitor and case suggestions would be nice as I don't know much about these. I want a good functional case that looks nice too, but it can't cost a ton.

Anyway...here's what I've put together so far.
https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=10239328

Thanks in advance guys!

1. 2x 4850 would give better FPS in most games (some do not use CrossfireX very well), but would cost a bit more.

2. Look for a good X38/X48 or P45 motherboard. Check Asus, Gigabyte or Biostar for some good ones.

3. Monitor: 22" Asus 2ms Response Time
Case: Not sure by what you mean as "cost a ton" but for some good cases under $100 check NZXT or CoolerMaster.

Thanks for the help!

I picked a new motherboard...don't know what I was thinking with the old AMD/Intel cross haha! Any more specific mobos that could be recommended for crossfire? Also, I know you can mix AMD vid cards with intel cpus/mobos, but does this ever cause any sort of compatibility issues? Sorry if that's a noob question, but I am a noob haha.

I changed the PSU to the recommended Corsair 750TX.

I picked the ANtec 900 case, but haven't decided on a monitor yet.

Does this look any better?
https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=10239328

Thanks!

cause the OEM cost $10 less, and you are already buying an aftermarket cooler..so why not save it if you don't need the 3 year warranty?

Yes that makes sense...But I do like the 3 year warranty idea and when I'm going to be dropping around 1500 for this thing, $10 doesn't seem so bad haha. I don't know though, I'll think about it.

I'm basically ready to go on this, I just have one more concern. The motherboard. I'm having a really hard time finding one and I would really appreciate some suggestions. It has to be able to run crossfire as I plan on getting a second 4870 in the future.

look at the biostar one i suggested...you have a decent one picked out i guess...i dunno much about what's good for crossfire though lol

+1 for the Biostar I45. The I45 holds the world record for the highest fsb and will run 625mhz fsb on air cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom