750TX or Antec 850

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightSurge

Fully Optimized
Alright, so I will be building the most high-end machine I have ever built to date. This machine will have 2x GTX 280, a QX9650 cpu, 4GB DDR3 1600, 790i mobo, 2-3 hard drives, Xigmatek S1283, and all hunkered nicely into an Antec Twelve Hundred.

Now, I know that the 750TX has PLENTY of cables to get the job done, but does it have enough power? Or would I be better off spending the $20 more for the Antec TPQ-850. It's modular :D and has about 4 more Amps on the 12v rails (64 for the Antec apposed to 60 for the 750tx). Now will 64Amps and 850W be enough for this monster build or is even the 60Amps of the 750TX enough?

Answers, answers, I need answers, people. Oh and to those of you holding the forum 3DMark06 records.... beware!

I know some here will say the 750TX, but i would go ahead and pay
the $20 to get modular cables. It really does help clean up the rig, and both psu's are built by seasonic and are very high quality, and have no problems running that system.

So Seasonic builds Antec and Corsair power supplies? Yeah I had a feeling that with modular cables and the extra 4Amps I might be choosing the Antec. I just wanted some extra closure I guess. Any other opinions? Also, please don't say anything regarding SLI'd GTX 280's or the DDR3 usage. I know it's freaking expensive, not to mention the CPU itself is a grand, but this build is for a customer and is meant to be a record breaking, no upgrading machine for at least the next 3 years.

wtf..why a antec 1200? why not a tempest?? :p I think 40amps is the min. for a single card build ....so 60 from the corsair should be enough for an SLI setup. If you want to be safe ( and the modular is a good thing ) i guess you could pay the extra for the other one.

No idea what exactly "min" would be though, I'm not sure if DDR3/the extreme quad would require more power than DDR2/regular quad..so it might be a good idea to get those 4 extra amps lol

EDIT: if he is going for record breaking, wouldn't he need more than a xig rifle for cooling?

wtf..why a antec 1200? why not a tempest?? :p
Customer preference :p Otherwise I would use the Tempest, personally.

And, while I could get the True for cpu cooling, I just feel that the Xigmatek with it's one fan and the retention bracket does just as good for a bit less. Watercooling sounds great and all, but he doesn't want to deal with the mess of cleaning and refilling every few months. Nor do I want to mess with installing and shipping a water cooled rig. Plus his budget was around $4000 so even with my discounted parts I can barely make it for around $4100 and have some profit left.

I hope this still counts for the record, as I will have this rig in my possession long enough to run 3dMark06 with an ORB link.

wow....$4000, that's a lot considering nehalem is coming out soon.

i bet it's fun building for others...getta see all that nice hardware and play with it :) lol

Yes it is fun :D And you get experience with SOO many different brands, configurations, etc. I think this guy must be on the more "eccentric/wealthy" side. Even more than veedub, because while asking for a $4000 build he also mentioned not spending "too much" so that he can upgrade to Nehalem at some point.

I would get the 750tx since it has a single 12v rail.

yea i never thought of that, no use going for the 4 extra amps if you are just going to be losing a lot anyway due to different rails...

so what all do you do for the people? install hardware/os/drivers and everything else like that?

Well, I take the original order. If they have a budget and need recommendations, I part out the system and we keep going back and forth until we have something agreed upon. Then I take the payment for the system, buy the parts, build it, install the OS and updates, overclock, test, and ship. Oh and I make sure to stay below every other custom builder. Like I keep it cheaper than iBuyPower, CyberPower, DigitalStorm, and the like.

Does anyone know just how much is lost with using multiple 12v rails? I mean, it is still 80+ certified, and would I really lose 4 total Amps worth of power just by using the multi-railed PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom