SLI Upgrade, Power Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard that the 9 series cards are that far off from the 8 series, but do you think an upgrade from 1 8800 GTS SSC will to any of these new cards will have any significant (or at least noticeable) difference in performance? And is it worth it to upgrade a another single card than to put mine in SLI?

Yes, it would be much better to upgrade to one better card than to put yours in SLI. Your card is the bad revision, with poor design and old architecture. You would be much better off upgrading to either a 9800GTX+ or GTX 260.

Okay, now if i had to choose between a 260 GTX and a 9800 GTX, which one will give me more performance ? (sorry i haven't really researched into cards that are above 8 series)

GTX 260 performs better and costs more. For a single card under $300 that would be your top Nvidia choice. The HD4870 performs slightly better and for usually less than the GTX 260, but you have an SLI motherboard, so I took the assumption that you would want to stay with Nvidia and use SLI in the future. Otherwise, if you could care less about SLI, go for the HD4870.

Well, with your current motherboard, it seems that Nvidia is your best option for future SLI capabilities. Go for the 9800GTX+ for a good card that outperforms the old 8800GTS 640MB (even in SLI). You can always add another 9800GTX+ later for SLI.

Wont he be in the same situation hes in now where by the time he wants to sli the 9800gtx+, theres would be a better cheap single card solution.

lol your exactly right i went through this with my 7800 GTX, yeah but more likely than not i probably will just upgrade to a better single card but i always like to leave the option open. Surge from that description the HD4870 sounds better, but my evga mobo won't run an ATI card will it?

yes an evga mobo can run ati cards. If its an SLI mobo then it cant run 2 ati cards, but can run one as normal as any other mobo.

lol your exactly right i went through this with my 7800 GTX, yeah but more likely than not i probably will just upgrade to a better single card but i always like to leave the option open. Surge from that description the HD4870 sounds better, but my evga mobo won't run an ATI card will it?

Ya it will work, but no CrossfireX

Yes it will run any gpu. You just can't run 2 of them in SLI.

To run 2 4870's you need to use crossfire. And to do that you need either a highend p35, a p45, x38, or x48 mobo. We recommend you get an x38/x48 if you plan to crossfire.

But in your situation you probably don't want to ditch your mobo. So, if you REALLY want sli, I will say it again, gtx 260 is your friend, and then maybe another one later.

But like they said ^^ for single card, a 4870 is pretty highend atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom