Not open for further replies.

the grim gopher

Baseband Member
ok, im gonna start upping my computer. here are the spex on it now

athlon 1700
soyo motherboard
512 mushkin pc2100
geforce 3 ti200 64mb

i want to upgrade almost everything but dont have all the money right now. so for right now im getting an ahtlon 64 3200+ and an audigy 2 zs platinum. i need a motherboard that will run this stuff, the parts i already have, and the stuff i want to get in the future:

nvidia 6800gt 256mb
gig of corsair xms pc3200

thanks for your help guys

-Ryan

well.. personally, i would save the money and not get the Audigy sound card, and put that money to the other major parts.. get the Asus K8V SE Deluxe Socket 754 (motherboard) !! dont buy a sound card till later.. after the CPU, RAM, MoBo, HD, etc ... that motherboard already has a decent onboard sound ( 5.1 ), and u should be able to live with that for a good while!! after u have the whole thing put together up n runnin, then get the sound card... but it should be a nice comp!! good luck man

yeah, also, there's really no point in getting a zs platinum . . . zs gamer is the best you really need . . .

also, i would buy that AFTERWARDS . . . buy the vid card/ram first

if you havent already bought the CPU, then get urself 939 pin version in any of the 64 or FX series. and get the board A8V Deluxe, as it itself is coming with 7.1 channel integrated sound card, though Audigy has advantage of 24-Bit sound chip, but still with on board Audio, you are getting 16-Bit, which is still good to go.

alright thanks guys, that really helps.

here is the thing with the sound card though, i am looking to get into home recording for guitar. and i need something i can plug my guitar into. but lets say that i dont get the audio card, i only have $700

cpu: $230
mobo: $170??
and the case i have now really sux so im getting a new case with a 560w p/s. that comes up to about $125

so that is $525 right there, and i figured since i only have $175 left, that i should go ahead and buy something i need with that. then some of the other stuff i was gonna try to get for christmas.

does this sound like a good plan? also, is there anything else im gonna need for my computer running the way it will be? (like fans, etc...)

thanks again

well there are 3 current amd64 socket types

754, 939, 940 . . .

939 and 940 have dual channel memory support; 754 does not

939 and 754 can go with unbuffered ram; 940 needs registered ram :(

so basically, 939 is the best choice . . . but if you cant get that, then 754 is also good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom