Anyone here overclocked a Intel Q9450 before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some results after I got the Xigmatek S1283 installed.

CPUZ.jpg

Does that look right, or do I need to change timings on the RAM as well?

Thanks.

i would put ur ram timings up to the EPP profile and see how it handles, remember to put up ur ram voltage as well! cause looking at that there is room for heaps better latencys, ergo, better speeds...

Is the EPP profile in the BIOS? I see a bunch of DRAM options, but I can't really distinguish what I can adjust and what I shouldn't mess with. How do I know how much to increase voltage?

ok, in the bios you should see options like DRAm frequency, timings, command rate and voltage.
try setting ur DRAM timings to 4,5,4,11 straight down the line. then set ur command rate to 2t and lastly increase ur DRAM voltage to 2.100 V.
if all else fails when ur trying to find what settings are what. look in ur mobo manual and try to match the names of the settings to the labels in CPUZ EG:

49585057qg9.jpg

the first red square is the names of the settings and the seconds is the settings you want to set it too.

To add a little more data. I have played with mine, unsure about differences in core temps, both at idle and at load. In an ideal situation, obviously, they'd all be the same at idle and under load. I've tried twice on two different Q9450s (mine and my brother's) and come up with similar results. At 3.2GHz my temps, using RealTemp2.6 are:
Idle:
Core 0 - 35C
Core 1 - 35C
Core 2 - 38C
Core 3 - 38C

Prime95 100% load at 15 minutes (stable temps):
Core 0 - 56C
Core 1 - 51C
Core 2 - 54C
Core 3 - 54C

Ambient temp was 27C (81F) and CPU fan is set at auto. It hit 2400rpm (max possible is 2800rpm so still a little left). I assume the core differences are ok? In looking on the Internet it looks like most people have some variance in their core temps. I also used AS5 so I may get a few degrees more drop as the compound cures.

Sorry...I misspoke. What I meant to say is that all four cores would have identical temperatures. In other words they would all be 35C at idle and all be in the low to mid 50sC at load.

I've tried twice to reseat my heat sink with Arctic Silver 5 in the hopes that the perfect scenario would occur...all 4 cores showing identical temps but I believe that is asking too much, the more I research. Any thoughts? What are acceptable variances in core temps? I believe that the last two cores are on the bottom (when the chip is vertical) which may cause slightly increased temps (more heat trapped). Everywhere I look I also see that Core 0 is usually the highest under load but I don't know why. Just curious to make sure I have a good chip.

Its fine if they aren't the same temps amongst each core, usually its always different

Well, I set the timings to 4, 5, 4, 11 and the DRAM voltage to 2.10. The computer turned on, but the monitor did not give me a screen.

I couldn't find command rate in the BIOS, so that was not changed.

I just reverted back to auto settings for RAM and the same FSB and multiplier for the CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom