Interesting video playback problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechieBen

Beta member
Hey, first time post, go me.

I have a client that recently came to me with a computer problem. They have multiple pcs with cookie cutter builds. Custom-built P4, at 3.0 Ghz, 1gig of DDR1 memory, 60GB Sata Drives, and an MSI RX9250 (ATI chipset) at 128 MB shared DDR. He has several of these pcs running on his office network. They run Windows XP Pro, 32-bit edition. For the most part these computers are only running Office 2003, and their web browsers.

Okay, thats the detail, here is the problem. The computers have problems with video playback. It doesn't matter what the file's source is, whether it is from a dvd, a clip from somewhere like youtube, or an animation from accuweather.com. When a video is played it runs fine for a few seconds, then it sticks for a few seconds before it resumes, it does this the entire length of the video. The jerky video playback happens on Windows Media Player, Nero Media Player, Realplayer, Quicktime, PowerDVD, and Divx. I have ensured that the video card has had its most recent drivers installed, as well as made sure that there is a working Video Codec, but the playback remains the same. This is happening on each of the computers we tested.

So, is this a software problem with the XP installation, or is it related to the video card? I wasn't sure, I have "borrowed" the video card from one of these pcs and put it in a generic office pc with a completely different software package and have the same problem, so I'm pretty sure it is the video card. I'm hoping there is some simple quick fix or suggestion someone can provide, that I have overlooked or maybe a route someone can suggest me to take. Or if not I have to just tell this guy he is SOL, and put an order through for 30 cheap video cards and just start replacing them.

Thanks a bunch in advance for your time, Ben.

Hello,

I would bet that the Video Card can not handle the video processing and is causing this. But from the details this card is a shared device. Which takes the RAM from the system. Only way to really fix it would be to get a dedicated gfx card.

Maybe get more RAM for the system. But i highly doubt that would fix it.

Cheers,
Mak

Thanks Mak, I have similar thoughts, though I cannot for the life of me figure out why a 128 MB card, even a few years old like that one, is having trouble like this one. I don't think RAM is an issue even though it is shared, the computers have a minimum of 1GB each installed, and rarely run more then a streamed audio player through Winamp, and Microsoft Office 2003, But I am afraid its resigned to the same fate of upgrading all of the video cards in the machines, yikes!

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Hello,

The only reason i stated RAM is because with a bi more RAM it will help not only the system but the video conversion as well. Since a lot of that is done with the system memory/gpu memory. Since the GPU memory is the system memory you are only taxing the system twice as much.

Just a thought is all.

Cheers,
Mak

Yea Mak, I understand what you mean, and I tested it this morning to be sure, hehe. I booted the pc, went into the bios, and set the video card to 64 mb, so it doesn't share that 64 mb from the physical memory, unfortunately its still doing the herky-jerk on playback. (I'm really beginning to dislike ATI)

shared memory on the video card means that it is just onboard video on the motherboard.

need a dedicated graphics card like Mak stated I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom