How do you overclock ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh, ok, lol. Didn't know which ones he had, you just said the DDR2 800 ones, and just figured he had 4GB of the same ones I had xD.

Don't want to hijack....
hijack.gif

but what is best to get your cpu overclocked with? linked or Unlinked?

That's over stock clock..lol. Remember, its DDR2, so its doubled ;). So essentially I'm running at 882MHz. Open up CPU-Z,and look at the Memory tab; it'll show your DRAM Frequency as halved (i.e. 400 for 800).

Lol i remember when i first saw that i was confused.

Drizzt:

Linked is better because you ram is clocked alongside your CPU and if you do unlinked its like putting a crappy muffler on a Mustang instead of a flowmaster.

Yes, but your ram OC can bugger up your overall OC. So knowingly changing things one at a time is best.

UNlinked it doesnt/cant be OC. Linked is like leaving your Vcore on auto... It'll change with your fsb increase, but will it destroy your puter?

Only reason I got G skill is because members here told me that it was good for overclocking!

Now I am getting a whole bunch of negative feedback on the ones i bought, even after several threads I made on helping me to get the best components.
-.-

And just when I ordered them, I get all this, "that ram sucks"

Anyways, If I have an Nvidia 8800 gt can I stil overclock with the ATI tools?

And where can I check if its linked or unlinked?

This may be a really dumb question but im reading through this coz id like to overclock me rig but is there any point? I mean will it really make a big difference in, say, gaming?
I mean i have a dual core at 2.0 ghz, 4 gb ram, an a ati Hd 2600 xt it can play all the new games on the highest settings would oc reali make them look better? Or would it mean my computer is being run into the ground to play the games that good or would it not make any difference at all?

OC might not make them look better, but lag will be less, i.e. load times on screens, multiple encounters.. things that require cpu usage.
I think its worth it.. My quads at 25% OC, with very mininal Volts and effort. So for 260 bucks, I have a cpu that'll run like a 700 buck one.
I think it's posted that the average OC basially does nothing to your setup provided its done right, minumal V ANd temp. So ideally you need a cooler.

My OC is 25%, from 2.4 -> 3.0Ghz. It'll do much better, but I don't need it any higher. Look around for your setup on here and see whatt results are easily possible. Try them, see if you like it.. It's not perminate so just try.

Ati tool does Nvidia too.

cheers mate
can i just ask one other question,
my full rig setup is pentium dual core E2180 a@ 2.0ghz, 4GB DDR2-667 ram, Biostar GF7050v-M7 mobo, an ati hd 2600 xt with 256mb GGdr3 ram.

Do you if any of these parts take well or oc or more iportantly hate it with a passion and would die at the try?
cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom