Laptop Buying Decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imori

Beta member
Hello folks

I'm currently searching to buy a laptop for 600 USD or under. I'm looking to use it for schoolwork (going to college soon) and some gaming on the side (mainly World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, and a few real time strategy games, nothing too system demanding) and I've came down to two laptops. Could someone help me decide which would be best for the above named activites?

Toshiba - Satellite Laptop with AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor QL-60 - Onyx Blue - L355D-S7815

Acer Aspire 4530-5267 Notebook

I'm wondering which of the graphics cards would be better as well.

"ATI RADEON X3100 graphics with 256MB-1406MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory" for the Toshiba

"nVIDIA GeForce 9100M G Integrated" For the Acer.

So can anyone help me choose? or possibly suggest an even better one for 600 or less?

I really appreciate it :]

-Travis
Laptop Noob

As far as i know there isnt an ATI X3100, but there is definantly an Intel X3100. The site must have screwed up. But considering theres an ATI badge on the front page im guessign they meant: ATI Radeon X1300.

In that case the 9100M G is better.

This one from Gateway is very pretty and comes with a 2ghz Core 2 Duo. The down side is that the video card is abit worse than the ones you listed but since clock for clock Intel is better than AMD, this one has more 'CPU Horse Power'.
Gateway Official Site: Products - M-6843 Garnet Red, Notebooks, Product Details

Ill try to find you one like that with a better video card.

Appreciate the help Zed. Still looking myself. I dont know a thing about switching out video cards in a laptop, so I figure I might as well buy the laptop with a good one..or one thats good enough to run WoW .

No problem.

Its pretty much impossible to change a notebook video card. If i was to buy a laptop out of the ones mentioned then id go with the Acer. Its $100 cheaper and despite the other laptop having the 1gb extra ram id say the Acer would still be better.

EDIT: I found a a good one for $499.
Acer - Extensa Laptop with AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Processor TK-57 - EX4420-5963

Out of all of them the original Acer will run WoW the best but theres a good budget one for you.
Also, check the laptop video rankings list to help you decide: http://www.techist.com/forums/f84/laptop-graphics-cards-ranking-list-165525/

I can get a 2 gig ram card for 30 or so off of Newegg as well, so thats a nonissue.

I was looking at the Acer myself. Seems like a pretty good deal. Word is (from other tech forums) that the 9100 isnt TOO bad of a card.

Edit: hmm that one does look pretty good..will have to think it over :] Thanks again Zed.

I'd recommend you look for ATI 2400/3400 or higher cards, or Nvidia 8500 or higher cards
8600's aren't bad for Laptops

Intel's video cards are really not very good compared to Nvidia and ATI's though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom