New system should be fast but is very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lvi56

Beta member
I'm not sure whats going on here, but I know something is wrong, and i suspect its a hardware conflict.
I have built a new desktop system, first time I've built one. It runs very slow, much slower than my old system on 256gb ram. Heres what I have now:

Biostar NF520-A2 motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core 2.62 ghz processor
1gb RAM
Nvidia 7300 gs 256gb video
I have two hard drives, I only have one installed at one time. One drive has xp pro sp3 with the latest updated drivers. This is a clean install with no added programs, and it is a legal install.
My other drive is also xp pro sp2, but with no added updates and only the drivers from the hardware cd's. This is also a clean install, legal, and from a different disc.

It's running very slow and sluggish. sometimes taking nearly a minute for my documents to open. Device manager shows no conflicts. I tried switching the ram stick to another slot on the mother board and it still didn't help. The computer see's all hardware and no conflicts. IDE cable is brand new and good. Could this be a RAM issue? The stick I have now is good. Could it be that the system needs more or needs dual channel?

Hello,

What do you have running in the task manager? Do you have any new apps installed? Did you fully update? SP3 is out should install that. Did you install a Antivirus and firewall right away to protect yourself before you went online? If not you could have gotten infected already if you did not and dont have a fully updated system

Cheers,
Mak

There are no added apps. Nothing out of the ordinary running in task manager. I have only connected to the internet for updates from microsoft and thats it. Plus it ran the same way before i even installed the LAN driver to connect to the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom