no sales tax sites for california

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most online sites now check where you're shipping to and apply that tax. I believe TigerDirect not only asks you for your state when you go to your shopping cart, but it also compares with your final billing/shipping address before you check-out. There's a lot of liability and politics going around, and many online sites just choose to make you pay taxes rather than get into problems.

Now...Let's talk CA laws and do some logic:

1. you cant have a front hedge higher than 4 feet.
This is both a uniformity rule for urban development (similar to not allowing glass enclosures on second-floor decks), and a public-eyesore control, AND a public safety control. Besides...who needs an 8 foot hedge in the front of their house?
2. All handymen must have a city license to work in the city.
Good. The Darwin-Awards are full of unqualified repairmen who kill/hurt themselves and others because they think they know, when they don't.
3. All dogs...
Dog licenses are not only a smart thing, but they are necissary. It's all about animal/environmental control.
4. Bikes...
There are MANY other states (and countries) that require you to have a bike license. Aside from just census and theft-recovery/law-enforcement issues, it's also good for identifying the body after they get runover.
5. Religious groups must have a license...
Public offices/organizations have to have a license from the city to operate. A religious group is an organization (and a special organization at that, due to refence within the law). This not only identifies officially recognized religious group locations/presences, but keeps people from just starting up a new religion to dodge taxes and other laws.
6. front yards may not have more than 35% concrete, satellites may not be visible from the front of the house and 50 degrees either way, no house may have similar design to another house within 3 mile radius...
These are not only building regulations that make sure housing areas maintain a certain appearance and uniformity, but it keeps a "nice" neighborhood from having joe with his camper on his lawn, thirty satallite dishes on his roof causing an eyesore, and his bunkis fridge tied to the porch. These kinds of rules are not uncommon, and let me tell ya, they're quite nice. I can look up and down my street at home, and not have to look at someone with a scraggly uncut lawn, no dishes stuck on their roof, no blasting stereos, no glass sunrooms cutting off my views, and any other distasteful trash that might make it look like my house has been moved to West Virginia.

Those kind of "regulations" are better for a gated community rather than forcing them upon the residents who pay their share of taxes, mortgage, and what not to be forced to live a certain way. But i guess if you don't like it you could move, or not move there in the first place. I still think those kind of laws should be kept for gated communities.

Gated community or not, it's irrelevant. If you want your community to stay decent and clean, you have to apply laws.

The community across the highway from my community has no regulations on their homes. There are bombed out cars in the streets, ugly electronics equipment on their porches and visible roofs, uncut lawns, trash everywhere (no cans), greenhouses on upper decks blocking other people's views, ebonicles blasting their music, etc, etc, etc.

Then there's my neighborhood. Although I pickup after myself, it's nice to know my neighbor will too, whether he's a bum or not. I don't have to put up with other people's stereos, trashy homes and other eyesores/noise, etc. And so far, the only limitation I have encountered that has truly blocked something I wanted to do, was put a glass enclosure on the upper deck...and I can see why my neighbors wouldn't want me to do that and I'm okay with it.

I don't make noise, I shouldn't have to listen to noise. I keep my home clean, I don't want to live in a place that looks like a slum.

And it's not like the realestate agent didn't go over the community rules with you before you signed...

History of the state/territory mostly. Also, the industries there. Movie industry to the south. Computer industry to the north.

CA is kinda like Texas, in that it is so big and its history so different, that it is literally like a seperate country.

its a more liberal state (which is funny . . . we're democratic with a republican governor)

in fact, if california tore off from the u.s., we would still have the 5th largest economy in the world

hahah, northern california sucks . . . anything north of bakersfield and especially north of monterey . . .

why do you think the lakers beat up the kings, the angels beat up the giants? haha, just kidding . . .

I lived in Monterey for 4 years. I loved Monterey, and San-fran. Aside from the natural sights and dos of CA, it could drop off the pacific shelf and I probably wouldn't care.

And if CA disappeared, Utah would have the biggest economy.

CA is just a big seaboard facing the direction all our major exports come from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom