New desktop help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheEez

Solid State Member
I'll try to use my best grammar in here so that it comes across very clear :p

I'm looking to get a new desktop for mostly gaming. Now I don't need it to play the most graphic intensive games at full settings....I would probably be happy with medium settings on a few high end games or low. My current one is pretty bad when it comes to gaming and I have to play games like TF2 on low in small servers(which lowers the fun factor a lot).

I've been looking around and reading on here a bit for some and I know very little when it comes to decent gaming computers.

I found this one on ebay from a seller and I was wondering if its worth the price and can play games like CoD4(I don't plan on playing Crysis...But I want to be able to play future games and have a machine that's upgradeable) on medium settings with no lag(I Play all of my current games on 800 by 600...So I've never experienced anything above 1024 by 768....so my expectations aren't too high.

GeForce 8800GT OC 512/3.2 Ghz Dual Core/Gaming Computer - eBay (item 160252314833 end time Jun-27-08 22:38:22 PDT)

Now I'm not completely ignorant when it comes to computers and I know that those charts are pretty inaccurate because they were on computers with better overall. I also know it costs more for an OS(No vista for me)

If this isn't suited for me does anyone have any suggestions? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Also I would rather not have to build one on my own.

Parts total is a bit less that 600 bucks. So with the buy it now price looks like your spending 175+ for him to build it. Alot of people could easily help you build this system yourself for that price. Many TF members are willing to help you put this together and you would learn a bit from building it yourself.

Thanks, I could possibly build it myself. My brother and father have built PCs by themselves. But I'm not sure how well they can do it. Plus I wouldn't need to spend 100 dollars on XP/Vista as we already have some spares.

I'm still curious though, how is it for gaming?

For what you want to do it would be adequate. Sorry I didn't realize that you didn't want to build a pc yourself. But I was unsure of building my own PC but the mods here are great and everyone like I said is more than willing to give you the support and help that you would need to build the pc. They also go so far as to help you find some great deals on components to help you build a system within your budget. Try it you might like it.

like indobos said most people here would be willing to help you build it. You could get someone on IM and they could walk you threw it.

Okay....so sorry for bringing this thread back I figured it would be better then starting a new one.

I've decided(after reading these forums:p) that I'm going to build one with the help of my brother/dad. I was reading and found a post at its something close to what I think I would want. So yeah I did rip off the post a bit.

I'll need some help because I know next to nothing about actually building a computer and parts(I know some but not nearly enough)

you can point and laugh if youd like:p

Newegg.com - A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
4GB ram

Newegg.com - A-DATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
8600GTS

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
250GB, my current is...well...250 is enough for me to enjoy not having to uninstall something to install something else :)

Newegg.com - ASUS Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 14X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners
And a DVD burner/player would be nice

Now I believe all I need now, is a case/cpu/motherboard(again I'm not sure if that's all I need). I don't know enough to actually know what I would be buying so I'm hoping you guys can help me out here. I'd like to have Intel because from what I've read most people say its better.

I would like to keep it in the $600 range....any help would be greatly appreciated thanks guys.

I've never owned an ATI card so is there anything different? I wanted to stick to nvidia because I thought I knew them better but apparently not. :p

The 3850 you linked to Puddle, it says it overheats sometimes because its overclocked or something of the sort. Will it do okay without overheating in that setup?

Overall it looks pretty good, is there anything else I should know?

The 8600/8500 line chips are failing left and right... avoid them.

Use something like ATITools to crank up the fan on the 3850 and keep it nice and cool. It will also let you overclock it as well.

You will need an OS, but that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom