Upgrading a Dell Dimension 3100 (E310)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan_Kaizer

Daemon Poster
I currently have a Dell Dimension 3100 desktop. I have 1 gig of ram in it, and a 3.06 GHz processor, and it came with a 19" LCD monitor. I bought it just about 2 years ago, and since then I have started to play a lot of pc games. But recently, I have wanted to upgrade this computer, as I can't play any recent games.

Here's what I have found so far:

Graphics Card:

NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS - graphics adapter - GF 8400 GS - 256 MB Graphics Card price comparisons - CNET Shopper.com

*This computer only has pci and pcie x1 slots. This card seems good, it's an Nvidia with 256 mb, ddr2 ram, dx 10, open gl 2.1, pixelshading 3.0, has a fan and all that.

RAM:

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) System Memory - Desktop Memory

*Max supported RAM is 2 gigs, and 240 pin PC2 4200 DDR2.

PSU:

Amazon.com: OCZ Technology Silencer Dell Upgrade 470W Power Supply: Electronics

*The case form factor is an odd one (BTX) and so the psu needs to fit this.

Hard Drive:

Amazon.com: Western Digital WD3200KSRTL Caviar 320 GB SATA 3.5-Inch Hard Drive: Computers & PC Hardware

*This computer uses SATA drives only, so I guess this is the best for my use, great brand and quality, especially for the price, and 320 gb is plenty.

Sound Card:

Amazon.com: Creative Labs 70SB057000000 Sound Blaster Audigy SE Card: Inc. Creative Labs: Computers & PC Hardware

*Don't want to spend a lot on this, and need a pci card.

Those are the parts I've picked out. I want to make sure that all of these are compatible. I'm pretty sure they are, as I've done plenty of research on this, but better to be safe than sorry. Also, anybody have any suggestions on better parts or brands? Newegg or Amazon or any other site is fine. Though, it'd be easiest to order all from one place. So, what do you guys think?

-Ethan

Ok thanks.

As for the sound card, I wouldn't be getting it immediately, but the on board sound is only mediocre, especially in games.

My top priority is the graphics card and RAM. If I feel I need it, then I'll get the power supply. The other stuff will come later.

Ethan_Kaizer bro you are paying 100$+ for a 8400GS @.@!!!

Not much I can say. But check out this link.

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100226L Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

That card will run like several times faster then the 8400GS.

You didn't notice that I need a pci express 1.0 x1. This computer has no pci express x16 slots at all, therefore I can't get that card.

You didn't notice that I need a pci express 1.0 x1. This computer has no pci express x16 slots at all, therefore I can't get that card.

Hi, guys. I have the same model, and I've read on other forums that because the graphics and sound are inbuilt, they can be difficult/ impossible to upgrade. Are you sure it will work, Ethan? I only want to do a general upgrade on mine to make it speedier and get an extra year out of it before it gets replaced, spending the bare minimum. Would a better graphics card be likely to help? If someone can recommend a cheap (and compatible!) graphics card to go along with that, that would be great. The main thing I plan to do is upgrade from 2x 256MB to 2x 1GB RAM, and add a 500GB HD.

Cheers!

As long as you make sure the onboard is deactivated, you should be good to go. you will be limited as to what GFX card you can get due to the limits of the slots, but a decent card will trump onboard any day.

Post where you are (US, UK, Canada, where ever) so people will know what to link you to.)

If you just want to extend the life, and you don't need it to play games, a pci graphics card will do you just fine. Upgrade the RAM and hard drive like you said. As for graphics card, an Nvidia 5200 pci card will be sufficient for you.

I just upgraded my ram today and i put a 2gb of ram and left on one of the other original ones and i got it shows i have 2.50gb of ram all i need now is a gfx card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom