Building a Gaming Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he's a die hard AMD fanboy like Apokalipse (not that I'm insulting or anything) its would be as hard to convice him to go Intel, as it would be as hard for it to make Maroon go AMD
(still not insulting..)

But that Intel build is better (just saying..)

I'm kinda confused, I don't get how that's a better build.

The processor I chose is dual core, 2.6 GHz, while the Intel one is only 2.0 GHz. Are Intel processors stronger than AMD or something?

Also, the board I picked out is a very good Asus board, which I would pick any day over Biostar.

The power supply picked out here is only 380w, but this graphics card has a minimum requirement of 450w. Wouldn't that be a dangerous move?

Otherwise this ATi card looks okay, but a lot of people are saying it runs very hot, and needs underclocking.

As far as cases go, I'm a sucker for a cool design and LEDs. :p

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm just confused as to how it'll be a better build.

So far everything you thought was better was based off Common Noob Myths (check the sticky in the High-end section) you might want to read the stickies some ;)

Clock speeds don't matter.. AMD is slower clock per clock compared to Core 2 Duos

Wattage doesn't matter.. thats a better brand name, Raidmax makes bad PSU (check out sticky)

So far everything you thought was better was based off Common Noob Myths (check the sticky in the High-end section) you might want to read the stickies some ;)

Clock speeds don't matter.. AMD is slower clock per clock compared to Core 2 Duos

Wattage doesn't matter.. thats a better brand name, Raidmax makes bad PSU (check out sticky)

Aww man, I'm a noob! *Bangs head against wall*

Just read those threads, they helped a lot. Well, at least I learned something new. :eek:

Alright, so, I still like what I chose. :cool:

(Brace yourself, another noob question coming) If I get this 450vx that was recommended before, will that be able to power a higher end card like the 9600 or 9800? Because eventually I will upgrade the graphics card.

I realize that the psu that comes with the case i chose is not that good, so I'll save a bit more for a reliable one. I want to be sure that I have a good (and cool looking :cool:) case with enough room for expansion (these graphics cards are getting big), and a power supply that's reliable and will be enough to upgrade parts.

I'm kinda confused, I don't get how that's a better build.

The processor I chose is dual core, 2.6 GHz, while the Intel one is only 2.0 GHz. Are Intel processors stronger than AMD or something?

Also, the board I picked out is a very good Asus board, which I would pick any day over Biostar.

The power supply picked out here is only 380w, but this graphics card has a minimum requirement of 450w. Wouldn't that be a dangerous move?

Otherwise this ATi card looks okay, but a lot of people are saying it runs very hot, and needs underclocking.

As far as cases go, I'm a sucker for a cool design and LEDs. :p

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm just confused as to how it'll be a better build.

Nothing is really wrong with the X2 5000+ seeing how its 2.6ghz. But the E2180 will probably overclock to 2.6ghz on stock cooling anyways. As well as the fact that clock speeds don't mean much now a days anyways. Cause that X2 5000+ can be out performed and put to shame by a lower clocked E7200 (2.5ghz) any day of the week. While the 5000+ will hit 3.0ghz on stock cooling without any voltage increase. But still the E7200 will hit 3.2ghz on stock cooling even though its lower clocked.

Personally I would go with Intel over AMD due to the simple fact that Intel just performs better. Yet again AMD is priced very low and affordable while also delivering a great performance for the price. In the end it really depends if the performance increase is really worth it.

More then likely if you love to overclock you'd go with Intel instead.

Brace yourself, another noob question coming) If I get this 450vx that was recommended before, will that be able to power a higher end card like the 9600 or 9800? Because eventually I will upgrade the graphics card.

The 450vx would be able to run one of those graphics cards without a problem.

I've decided to up my budget a bit. It'll mean I have to wait a bit longer a work a bit more, but I think it'll be worth it:

Gonna switch the 8600GT with this 9600GT:

Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N861-AR GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Don't want to risk anything by having a weak and/or crappy psu, so I'll add this:

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 Power Supply 90 - 264 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Power Supplies

The cost now comes to about $660 now (Before taxes, shipping, and mail in rebates).

What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom