Problem occurred when plugging in floppy drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, thanks for all your help. I got a bad Trojan worm of some sort. So I ended up doing the reinstall before I wanted to but all seemed to go good. Although while installing XP it said one of the files it was trying to install was corrupted. So I retried and then it worked. Now I have C: and D: just like it should be. Although in BIOS SATA is still 3rd boot Master, Why? I also did full format this time on C: instead of Quick. I'm getting some errors in XP now so I'm not sure if that Trojan or it's buddies were hiding in my other partition that was F: now D: What do you think?

Trojans are little buggers that can be hidden just about anywhere while generally on the Windows primary itself. There are various spyware/trojan hunters like Spyware Terminator you could for seeing if you locate and remove it even manually or post a HT log in the security section. If files were moved around folders at a time between drives then one could be carried over.

When seeing problems during installation at first and then working results on a repeat attempt that could something as simple as a smudge on the disk or a need to use a len cleaner on the drive itself. Sometimes all will be just right and suddenly one file simply won't copy to the drive fully by as a rarity.

For seeing the sata drive with Windows set as the default device you not only look in the boot order to assign hard drive as the first there but look in the onboard section for the hard drives item. Once highlighted you press the enter key to see a new screen come up with the list of hard drives installed.

The NumPad or other specified keys are used to move the drive to the top of that list then becoming the default. There will be a small instruction in the bios as well as simply referring to the user manual for the board for getting that taken care of. Once you find that and set it once you'll find it's easier then setting your vcr to record a show.

Yea, looks like I still have a virus. It had to be on D: So I'm still over in virus hj posting under analyze. I hope they can get it straightened out. I'm getting all kinds of Win errors but comp is fast right now.

Here is pics of BIOS. I don't see anything I can change to make HD 1st Master.

Ok I tried to load files but it says invalid files, why? I did this before here with bigger pics.

You should find an item named hard drive under the onboard devices or integrated peripherals section in the bios. You simply highlight that and press the enter to see another screen come up showing all hard drives and even in some cases card reader will be thrown by the manufacturer.

The #1 drive there besides an ide drive is generally numbered by the port the drive is plugged into. Now with only one hard drive plugged in at the moment you will see that automatcally being the default when first in the boot order as well. If you find the list screen you'll see for yourself that will be the default at the top and only drive shown.

With an infection being known to be present you will want to scan everything on all drives to prevent reinfection in case files backed on a separate were effected. Running the latest AVG 8.0 and even bouncing between that and others will likely nail the bug for you while you wait for help on the log.

Once the backed files are gone through and safe on one drive/partition simply wipe the current XP primary for a clean start since you will be performing a full install anyways for the drive letter correction. You "kill two birds with one stone" is the common expression there.

Yea, but like I said I already did the reinstall and have my C: drive where it should be. I'm still getting errors like when I try to go into user acc's. It tells me I have to close it. I was told I'm virus free and computer seems to be good except for errors, meaning it's fast. I'm going to try to do a boot repair with XP disc. If that don't work I'll have to reinstall again and hope I don't get a disc error.

I just performed a full reinstall of XP here without unplugging the Vista primary in order to see at first an XP stand alone install. XP sees itself as D. That was due to the installer seeing Vista as not only a new version but C and designated D for the install there. But no problem since another reinstall will likely anyways since the MS mouse software suddenly refuses to detect the optical mouse used.

If Windows is loading up there the Fixboot and Fixmbr commands you would use otherwise at the recovery console won't do anything for the one or more user accounts. Try creating a new admin account and then remove the first to see you get ffurther that way.

Well, I don't know what to do. I think my HD is bad. As you know I fixed the boot sequence problem. I'm still getting disk errors at startup. I have to hit restart then usually that works. Brand new HD and it seems to be junk. Whats the best way to test this HD. West Dig 640GB SATA 3.0

Hello,

Other than those tools you could use Windows Check Disk. That will be the best one to try. There is also things like HD Monitor that will tell you how good or bad your drive is. But that isnt free.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom