problems after rma mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich_S

Solid State Member
I recently got my mobo replaced, and now with the new one i'm having constant problems. Im running vista home premium 64bit. First, I opted for the oem version when i built the computer, so of course the first problem was activating windows. It asked me to type in my serial number, so i did.
Do i still have to call Microsoft to get them to re-activate it? There was some kind of message after i typed in the serial number about the activation...

My biggest problems are all the bsod and startup errors i get, every time.
I get bsod's with the following various messages.
-SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION
-IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL
-MEMORY MANAGEMENT
-...0000001E
Also sometimes the system hangs after the windows loading screen and stays black.

I wasn't getting these problems obviously before, just after installing the new hardware, all the other original hardware worked. Do i have to re-install windows or some drivers or something?
Thanks for any help.

Hello,

Did you reinstall Vista when you got the new motherboard? Yes you will have to call and reactivate your Vista.

OEM Vista only allows for 1 activation. Since that was already used technically you are supposed to buy a new copy for this PC. Since a new mobo constitutes a new PC according to Microsoft.

So you will have to call. Need to know if you reinstalled to be able to tell you what is going on with the BSOD's though.

Cheers,
Mak

i will call then to ask if they will re-activate. Thanks.
No I didnt try re-installing windows. The only action i took had to do with the motherboard, I don't know if this is signifigant but at the time of replacing the old one i had a bios update, so the new one wouldn't have that update. On the new mobo however i updated from the original to a even newer version than was on the original mobo...

Hello,

If it was not the exact same mobo, you will have to reinstall Vista. When you call. Tell them your hard drive crashed or they will say exactly what i said above. That you will have to purchase a new copy.

Cheers,
Mak

dont tell them you replaced the mobo, they may give you a hard time about that. tell them you updated the firmware for your dvd burner or something and got the activation message.
when all else fails, lie.

I've tried 3 times to re-install windows, but cant get far enough without a bsod....0x0000007E was the last one. On the first attempt i formatted the hard drive, started installing windows, then part way through, bsod. The last two times it didnt even finish loading the files from the disc. The last time i flashed the bios and it still did the same thing. Now i'm really lost:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom