Building Computer, Need MOBO/PSU Guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael31191

Solid State Member
Alright so I'm buying a new motherboard, gpu, ram, pcu, and psu for my old computer. I have 1 dvd drive and 2 cd drives and two small hard drives (80gb and 160gb) in it, and these are the parts I have picked out so far.

sapphire hd 4850
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100242L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

q6600
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors

4gb gskill 1066
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I need to figure out what motherboard i should buy. I know that i should get a p35/43/45 board but i'm not sure exactly which one, and I have no clue what kind of power supply I should get. I have no plans to buy a second hd 4850 so a second pci slot isn't necessary. I would like to be able to overclock my pcu a little bit, nothing too crazy, 3.0 GHz probably. Id like to spend about $90-$120 on the motherboard and $60-$80 on the PSU, any suggestions?

isn't that power supply a bit of an overkill for my system? I thought I could get one for around 60-80 that would suffice for a single GPU system.

gives your some room for upgradability, u could prob run your computer from the 450vx version if you wanna save some cash, or even get the 550w version which is a lil cheaper. (has 41amps not 54). we dont believe in skimping on cheap psus here.

A combo recently appeared with the q6600 for another model of what looks like a very similar biostar board.

you reccomended
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP43D2A7 LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

but theres now a combo on newegg offering
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP43 HP LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

and with the combo i can get that slightly more expensive mobo for the same price.

from what i can tell, the only differences are the pci ports and the onboard audio, both of which seem to be better on the combo one. my concern was that there are absolutely no reviews for the later, and i was wondering if that was because it was a new item or because no one wants to buy it for some reason. is there anything i should know about the more expensive board that would deter me from buying it instead of the very popular 10 dollar less one?

It's a pretty new item so that's probably why it doesn't have any reviews. Since its the same price with the combo I would go ahead and get the more expensive board.

word. thanks, ill do that! now im excited, that was the last bit of info i needed for my rig. time to set up my tech forum signature to reflect it =p

You could even look at a cheap earthwatt psu if you wanted to save money.

I don't believe on skimping on a psu, but i do believe that most people over exaggerate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom