Format a drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerigorn

In Runtime
I have a Dell, ugg, Dimension 8100 w/ ME, once again ugg, and it runs like shit. I want to wipe it clean and put xp professional on it. How would i go about doing this?

if u got ur win xp cd, turn off pc, and in bios settings, but to boot on cd 1st, then put cd in, and reboot, and follow the instructions.

You should be able to insert the XP disk while still running windows. It will begin the installation process and restart your computer. Though this isn't recomended if you can't change your boot sequence then this may be your only hope.

EDIT:
The disk may not autoplay however, you should be able to open the CD-ROM and find an Install.exe.

It depends. Is the XP CD an upgrade CD, or a full version? If it's a full version, I believe that it will wipe your hd.

If that doesn't work, you'll need to create a boot disk, and hope that the computer checks your floppy drive before your hard drive. If you can boot from the boot disk, you can type "format c:" without the quotes, and that will wipe your hd.

If you format the drive, and your XP CD is an upgrade CD, you're going to need the Recovery CD that should have came with your computer.

i don't think so...you can download a win98 boot floppy,(or create one) and try booting with it. then type 'format c:'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom