Worklog: WOW for a lady

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
So my brother's GF needs a system built and has given me the green light to make her a WOW themed case as she and my brother are both severe addicts.

I picked up a cheapo case a few months ago through the classifieds for $20 but cannot identify it. No markings on it at all, looks like an aopen or coolermaster. Anyways, like a newb I tore it apart and started cutting without a "before" picture. lol, rookie mistake, has been a while since i did a mod, am rusty :p

It looks a bit like the Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Elite RC-330-KKR1 Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply - Computer Cases but has the usb, power, reset and other ports at mid height of the case rather than the bottom. The bottom is fine mesh like that one and has a place for a 92mm or 120mm fan to be installed behind it. the case is black and has two silver side bars on the front sides.

Anyways, plans so far:
1) mobo tray cutting for better wire management behind it
2) insert 120mm air intake at the front of the case and 92mm at rear.
3) cut out side window to see the guts
4) try my hand at my first real stencil on that side window, she wants some floofy image of a netherdrake or something like that...can't find a good netherdrake wallpaper or image so may need new ideas. for some reason she doesn't want any images of women on the side.
5) paint job, she's leaning towards a flat black internal, and a gloss black/lime green external scheme with blue fans. The case needs a paint job bad, the old one was very poor and had a number of scratches on it that need to be removed.
6) Install new bulgin power switch

I'm not an artist so I wont bother with any fancy painting, may install a small window on the front where the two 2.5 bays are for a second stencil, "WOW" or something...

Any ideas are appreciated but relatively simple is a must, i'm on a tight timeline and no budget, this is out of the goodness of my heart and my heart is cheap. here is a quick drawing...gotta love the skills with a brush! lol, I do hope it looks better in RL than on "paper".

I'll have some photos soon of the work done so far.

[edit] that odd blue color there around the "WOW" represents blue glow through plexiglass window with the "WOW" stenciled in, didn't explain that proper and the blue looks weird just sitting there like that. [/edit]

freak'n eh I'm tired, used the quick reply window instead of edit...time for bed.

What is a loladin??? and yeah, i think she's alliance so that might work.

"This computer is dedicated to all the souls lost to the horrible game, wow"

So true...lol, maybe behind the mobo tray so when she upgrades years down the road it'll be there for her to see.

a loladin is a paladin, there not taken serious if i can remember right, everyone used to call them loladins, just a thought, maybe get a picture of a gnome and put it on the side window xD, you could get a tauren and a gnome next to eachother, big size difference, would look funny xD

lol, i thought of something like that but since it's for the brother's GF and not the brother...figured i'd stick to what she requests. She's going to send me confirmation on the colour scheme and pics for a stencil soon.

Here's the initial cutting and sanding i did so far...bah, wish i had a before image.

Here, using a hole saw I cut out a 4" hole in the front grill for the 120mm intake.

Did the same thing for the front of the case, there was also the plastic case front (no pic) that holds the grill in place that i had to cut as well, it had a pre-cut 92mm hole which i had to widen to 120mm:

I'm going to use a 120mm duct from mnpctech.com for the intake:
FanDuct

I also cut out the side panel for the window:

As you can see I also did some sanding. Although I'd prefer to paint over the old paint job it was so bad I just couldn't, there were also a couple of scratches i had to sand out.

did some more cutting today, here is the front intake with the fan cut to size and inserted (just for show, will have to remove and paint later):

And decided to add a case top grill, no fan for now but leaves the option open for later. Using the 120mm hole saw I cut a couple holes in the top of the case, cleaned it up with the dremel to make a nice clean oval, put in some u-tubing and cut a piece of perf for the backing.

I still haven't got confirmation on the paint scheme at this point but i'm guessing it'll be green for the case and the grate will be black with a blue glow from the inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom