Question on bottlenecking and upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.

its.joesef

Beta member
My parents just recently gave me their old computer which has a decent set up, but I am wanting to upgrade to play games likes Gears of War.

The set up right now is

(sorry if this isn't exact, I am at work right now)

2.4 Ghz single core processor
1 gb ram
windows xp
some plain video card

Now I know that I am gonna upgrade my video card to hopefully a GeForce 8800gt or something similar, and also upgrade the ram to 2gb. But my question is, is that if I do those upgrades, is it going to still run bad and bottleneck due to only having a single processor? Even though it is a 2.4Ghz?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

It depends if the motherboard supports either LGA 775 or AM2 socket. If it supports Intel it'd be best to pick up a cheap E2180 and if its AM2 your best bet would be an X2 5000+. If it supports neither you can always pick up a cheap motherboard for every day use. Don't except to overclock like mad on a cheap motherboard though.

its also very likely that the current computer doesnt have a pci express slot, which you would need to run any current video card.
we need to know the processor, and that will give an approximation of performance.
bottlenecks are often blown WAY out of proportion.

okay got all the specs now, I am at home.

It is
Gateway
Intel Pentium 4 processor 2.53 GHz
1 GB Ram

If I dont have the correct port, is it just best to start off from scratch then and get a new tower?

I've thought about upgrading my old comp or start from scratch...
the thing is...
old-tech hardware just costs so much!
for example 2Gb of ddr 400 could run at least 55 bucks (and that's w/o heat spreaders!)
where as 2Gb of dr2 800 runs ~40 mark and as cheap as 20 after mail in rebates

and then there is the AGP video card... costs a ton for what I think its worth...

so basically, you will be paying for equal or more for stuff that runs slower than newer stuff

btw, that P4 is 478 socket

your psu would also probably not be sufficient to support a new vvideo card, even if it had the post. ect.

Start from scratch, and build a new comp.

Yeah already the people above me have presented you a large bundle of problems. Long story short, it will be cheaper, and better to buy a brand new pc. (Custom Build).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom