Fax ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am not going to argue over this. He stated that he is using Windows to do this.

This is a Lexmark X6150 and we have Win XP Pro OS

In which case the Fax software is needed. If he wants to try it without fine. But for what he asked my advice is what is needed.

Cheers,
Mak

No reason to argue. We're just working together to point out two ways to use the device. I just wanted to clarify what features the device offers.

Double,

Okay. 2 options are always better than one. Wasnt sure since i was only reading words and not knowing the emotion behind the post. ;)

Cheers,
Mak

Along the lines of not having the fax plugged into a phone line, I was wondering if the phone line cable was faulty, thereby causing a lack of dial tone. Really easy to try another cable, so worth doing just to rule it out.

I should have clarified better. I was just stating that we have XP Pro on the PC if that made a difference. When the fax was setup at our old house, we didn't have it hooked to the PC. Now we do as it's in the office (before it was in the family room). Anyways, I just found the XP Pro install CD so I can setup and configure XP fax. I'll post back and let you know how it goes.

At the old house, we had a separate fax line, I don't see why I can't just hook into the phone line here and use our regular phone # for faxing. There is a dial key pad on this fax btw. Thanks again everyone.

Well... that didn't work, it wouldn't read the file(s) off the setup disk. I'm trying Classic Phone Tools now that came w/ our Dell PC...

I don't get it, Classic Phone Tools says I have to install a modem?!!!

At the old house, we had a separate fax line, I don't see why I can't just hook into the phone line here and use our regular phone # for faxing. There is a dial key pad on this fax btw. Thanks again everyone.
You can. Connect the phone line directly from the all-in-one to the jack on the wall. You do not need to connect it through a computer.

The reason you're running into problems by putting the computer into the equation is that if you want to fax through the computer without connecting the all-in-one to a phone jack, you'd have to connect the computer's dial-up modem (not broadband, not Ethernet) to the phone jack on the wall.

Theoretically, you can do both. You could get this setup so you could fax directly from the all-in-one and also from the computer. Read through the manual using the link I posted. That should clear things up on what needs to be connected where and how you can use all the great features.

Hello,

I have to agree with DoubleHelix on this. Remove the PC from the equation and try to get it working that way. Seems like a much better solution.

Cheers,
Mak

A simple phone line splitter jack will allow you to plug both the fax and the PC into your phone line and use them separately (not at the same time, of course) without having to plug and unplug devices all of the time.

did you set it up via the setupsh.pdf provided in the lexmark link there? If you have the package you should already have similar printed guide.

box 6 or 17

check pages 4-8 of ug.pdf aka user guide
refer to pages 104-106

and then also 65

Haven't been on in a while as we've had SERIOUS problems w/ Verizon, in fact we haven't had DSL or phone for 2 weeks now. Just got back on today. I think I'm going to add another phone line for the fax machine so we don't have to worry about the PC & fax conflicting. Thanks for the help, I'll probably be asking again shortly :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom