explorer sees dvd-r as empty

Status
Not open for further replies.

calsonic

Baseband Member
Ok, so I burned some files onto a DVD-R to free up some hard drive space on my PC and now I need to put them on a thumb drive. Since my PSU just decided to fail (right when my new video card comes) I decided to use my Latitude D610 laptop to transfer the data.
So I put the DVD-R in to the DVD burner on the D610 and the windows auto launch thing comes up and I select "open folder to view files" explorer launches and the window is completely blank. I select properties on the DVD drive and it says that used and free space are both 0 bytes, (I also noticed that it detects it as a "CD Drive" but I don't know if it's always done that).
However, if I open a burning program, in this case CDBurner XP, it says that there is 4335.72 MB on disk, and that the remaining size is 152.34 MB but it still shows no files on the disk (more specifically, "Joliet with 0 folders and 0 files", but I don't know what Joliet is).

any ideas? I don't have another PC to test this with at the moment.
thanx.

Hello,

When you burned the disc did you finalize it? Or did you leave it open for more burning? If it isnt finalize it could be waiting to be finalized before you can read it.

Cheers,
Mak

I've seen CDBurnerXP cause these types of problems. I would suggest uninstalling it and see if the problem goes away. You can always reinstall if that isn't the cause.

well my psu decided to work again, i guess it's just intermittent.
a tech at work told me that he has seen this problem when, like mak said, the disk wasn't finalized, but he added that the PC that burned the disk had to finalize it, and that only that PC would be able to see the files until then.
however, a large jar of coins managed to fall off the top shelf of my desk and land directly onto that DVD-R :mad: so there's no telling now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom