Fax ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolbrze

In Runtime
I wasn't sure what forum to post this in so here goes...

We have a Lexmark X6150 printer/scanner/fax and we're having a hard time faxing. The phone jack works fine, I tried the house phone in it and got a dial tone. When I plug in the fax, nothing happens except the line goes dead. When I pick up the phone there's no sound for ~ 15 sec. then it goes to the busy tone. This is a Lexmark X6150 and we have Win XP Pro OS. Thanks in advance!

You plugged the phone into what? Are you saying the phone doesn't work in the wall jack that you're connecting the fax to?

Hello,

Do you have Windows Fax installed and operational?

Cheers,
Mak

So you connected the line from the fax to the wall, and the line is dead, preventing from you dialing out to send a fax? But if you connect a phone to this same wall jack using the same phone cord, you get a dial tone?

At this point, the computer doesn't need to be involved, so you can disregard having Windows Fax installed on the computer.

Did you read the manual for the device which should explain, step by step, how to configure faxing? It probably discusses checking menu options (on the device, not on the computer) and offers troubleshooting tips.

At this point, the problem seems with the all-in-one unit and not the phone line, phone cord, or computer.

Hello,

Windows Fax does need to be involved.

How To Send a Fax in Windows XP

Windows will not send a fax thru a printer or any other device. Almost everytime you have to go thru Windows Fax to get it working. It will then fax thru the device selected.

Unless the printer software gave fax software with it. Windows Fax will need to be used. Even this here:

Faxing in Windows XP

Shows how to fax using a printer but still goes thru the Windows Fax software.

So my comment is still very valid.

Cheers,
Mak

an I would take Mak's advice he is a known MS expert even recognized by MS so take his advice.

This is an all-in-one device, so it does support stand-alone faxing that doesn't require a computer. It all depends on what the poster is trying to do. I'd suggest testing it out without a computer just to be sure it works and is connected to a working phone line.

Hello,

The OP already stated in post 3 that they plugged it into a phone line to make sure it is working. Being a All in One device it still is dependent on Windows to perform the Fax. As i have not seen a All in One printer that gives you a keypad to dial with. Most of them have buttons for scanning and other things but not a keypad to dial with.

So you would have to go thru the Windows Fax software to accomplish this goal.

Cheers,
Mak

Every all-in-one printer/scanner/fax that I've worked with has a keypad for computer-less faxing. This one does too. Here's a link to the manual with more info.

Lexmark - X6100 Series - English

Post #3 says the poster plugged a phone into the wall. I was just looking to clarify that the poster tried connecting the all-in-one device to the same phone jack. I've seen several people not connect an all-in-one to a phone jack because they think the faxing happens through their Internet connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom