One More Upgrade Help Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparda_X

Baseband Member
I have been recently thinking about an upgrade, Im on a budget so it cant be anything extreme, here are my basic choices:

I can Improve my graphics, or processing, but I cant choose both

If I choose graphics, here is what I have in mind:

ELSA GF3 64meg -> ATI Radeon 9500 PRO 128meg or MSI GF4 TI 4200 128meg

In this case I would keep my current processor, witch is a Athlon XP 1800

If i choose procesing...

Athlon XP 1800 -> Athlon XP 2700

also, in this case I would keep my GF3

I cant decide witch one to go for, Im am prety hard core into games, and i want to be able to play the games that will be coming around the end of the year. I have bechmarked my pc and it satys around 50-48 FPS in Unreal engine games, so considering how much more complex, Doom 3, Far Cry and Half life 2 are going to be, I need to have acceptable frames with those

One more detail, is that my PC is always on, so I cant have a graphics card that heats up easily, as I cant easily modify cooling for it

So what do u guys think, where will I get the most out of with games, procesing or graphics?

The transition from GF3 to GF4 is nothing more than a DX8 card to DX8.1.

I find the Radeon 9500 Pro to be faster (even than the GeForce4 Ti 4600) and with more potential (DirectX 9 technologies should be easier on developers wanting to implement programmable features in games, than on DX8.x). I can't quite comment on the heat dissipation, but I'm guessing it would be similar to that of an equivalent GeForce4 Ti-based card. However, the Radeon 9500 Pro will require an extra power boost from the supply.

You should only upgrade that 1800+ of yours, that is, if it were less than 1.2-1.4 GHz, as the 2700+ would see a difference from that point on.

Nice to know all that :D Like my 1800+ is 1.5 Ghz than the processor change would'nt be the best idea right?

Well regarding the power supply, im using a 500wat supply, I cheked in ATI's site and they say min is a 300wat for ''normal system operation''. They say that the ATI 9500 requires a conection from the supply, would that be like the one used in the HD? they didnt specify that

The Radeon 9500 Pro/9600/9700/9800 etc. will include a Y-cable which will plug into the card on one end, then require two connections from the power supply (the connector which are similar to the other devices in the machine).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom