Liquid cool or Fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MangoSalsa

Baseband Member
I already have fans...but im worried about heat anyway, seeing how its Texas and all. I plan on OC'ing, this IS my first rig, but Ive already bought a few things that I'd wish I had read a little more on (PSU, HS/F). Other than the Video card/s (gtx 280) im set to go.

Im trying to setup my rig so I can have 2 vid cards (I know I dont need them, but I sorta want to have the best I can afford)

My question: How much more of a threat is it to liquid cool? should I, or should I stick with bunches of fans? (currently have 3 case fans with the Thermaltake Armor)... also the place where the computer will be (even with AC on all day set at 75f) is usually no less than 80-85f every day if im lucky.

Thank you in advance, im going to drink so ill be back late tonight.

if you have multiple GTX 280's you'll probably have to have 2 WC loops if you want good temps so that'll cost a lot more than air cooling

Depends...

If you cheap out on a water cooling system, then most high-end air coolers can beat it, but if you don't cheap out, then you'll have good performance and its less likely to crap on you. (same applies for GPU loops)

ok...well how cheap is cheap? I was thinking about getting the BFG version of the gtx280, if I get that, I wouldnt need to run a line to the vid cards, I would only need to run a line to the CPU right?

on thing people often discount is how quiet water cooling rigs are. You can build an air cooled rig that nearly matches cooling performance for cheaper, but it's going to be much, much louder.

if you have multiple GTX 280's you'll probably have to have 2 WC loops if you want good temps so that'll cost a lot more than air cooling

Don't preach what you don't know.

A single loop can handle two gtx280's fine provided they aren't paired with a quad core or anything else. After that you either need to think about dual radiators or two separate loops.

Water cooling is not a threat to the computer if you take your time, follow directions, and use good parts.

I would avoid the pre water cooled bfg cards because they cahrge you a phat premium for no good reason.

If you want to liquid cool them, pick up two EK water blocks from Petra's Tech Shop and pair them with a mcr-320, a laing d5 vario, and a t-line and your set.

Using water cooling, I get load temps on my 8800gt air cooled users can only dream of. Hows 38C under load sound to you?

that sounds really nice. Does anyone else have any other thoughts on watercooling? also, are their any good sites to read up on the world of water-cool? im trying to learn as much as possible.

EDIT: I want to cool my CPU, and Video card/s...what else can I cool? I will only have 1 video card for a while, but I will eventually get 2 for SLI. I dont know any good brands or anything. ill read up though, but I would still like everyones opinions and wisdom.

Thanks.

Well i just put together a watercooling setup for dual 4870s and a quad core, and spent right around the 500 dollar mark. I suggest you stick with air cooling then switch over to water after you do the research. Watercooling is a whole other project. But once you have a good loop(s) its something that will move from rig to rig as you upgrade. One thing to look into though is the case. If you plan to run a quad core and multiple high end video cards you are going to need a couple radiators and thats where case choice is going to come into play.

oh....hmm..well now that you say that, I wouldn't know if my case can handle that. its a thermaltake armor (without the side fan)

EDIT: wow veedub..I just saw that case..how heavy is it loaded?...that thing is insane

Heh check out my watercooling thread. The case is actually really light since its all aluminum. But full loaded its got some heft to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom