budget rig (Apoko please post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah 2gb ram will be fine even with vista. 4gb will only really benefit me from boot time and loading screens in games. can always get the extra 2gb if i need to do sum video eidting which i do sumtimes.

If you feel comfortable overclocking the e2180 to its limits, get the e2180.

Otherwise, the 5000+ BE can do 3ghz easily on dirt cheap cooling (sub $15) and it is about $8-10 more expensive then the e2180. Factor in the cheaper motherboards on the am2 side (Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA78G-DS3H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards for example, can find cheaper), and you are talking about equal pricing between the two.

Personally, I would choose the 5000+ BE for the reason that I wouldn't want to pay the extra money to squeeze extra performance out of the e2180 (for cooling) which is already stressed.

If the e2180 can be overclocked to the same clocks as the 5000+ on the same cooling with no problem, then I will shut up and tell you to go with the e2180, lol. I don't think it can, however.

Ah, thanks vern.

Well, I'm not sure about prices. But if they turn out to be about equal, my argument is still valid.

If you feel comfortable overclocking the e2180 to its limits, get the e2180.

Otherwise, the 5000+ BE can do 3ghz easily on dirt cheap cooling (sub $15) and it is about $8-10 more expensive then the e2180. Factor in the cheaper motherboards on the am2 side (Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA78G-DS3H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards for example, can find cheaper), and you are talking about equal pricing between the two.

Personally, I would choose the 5000+ BE for the reason that I wouldn't want to pay the extra money to squeeze extra performance out of the e2180 (for cooling) which is already stressed.

If the e2180 can be overclocked to the same clocks as the 5000+ on the same cooling with no problem, then I will shut up and tell you to go with the e2180, lol. I don't think it can, however.

My cooler cost $2 after rebate. And like I said it hit 3.3ghz with a quick change of some settings. I don't remember the 3.3ghz voltage but it did 2.8 or 3ghz on stock voltage. I'm pretty sure most e2180 will do over 3ghz.

Interesting. What cooler do you have? You are completely stable at 3.3ghz?

Also, the 5000+ BE will do over 3ghz as well, I was just using that as a reference point since I have never attempted to go higher.

Just updated my sig, I have a Cooler Master HYPER TX2 92MM. I think I could go a little higher but my mobo and cheap cooler would need replacing, IP35V is not as good as the E. I think I'm actually running 3.1ghz now since I haven't replaced a bad a side fan and heat was getting up there. But it could still do 3.3ghz, just runs hotter than I like. When at 3.3ghz I ran orthos for about 12 hours no problem.

IIRC when I was researching I found the average speed to about 3.2ghz for a 2180. The cheaper e2xxx chips could get around there to but their not much less and require the other parts to run higher fsb.

Interesting. What cooler do you have? You are completely stable at 3.3ghz?

Also, the 5000+ BE will do over 3ghz as well, I was just using that as a reference point since I have never attempted to go higher.

I think you ignored the fact that at the same clock speed, the E2180 would still be faster overall

well ill prob stick with the, e2180, since im more experienced with intel overclocking i hope to reach 3.6ghz, gotta have high hopes. but i aim for a minimum of 3ghz so ill keep use updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom