CPU OC'ing Ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubius

Golden Master
I was reading a couple of guys talking to each other about Overclocking in another forum and the thing that caught my attention is a guy said 'You might as well buy the amd athlon xp 2500+ because you can overclock it to 3200+ speeds easily' I was looking into getting a 3200+ here in a couple weeks. I'm not one to really overclock cause I don't know enough about it really so I figure I should just be safe and just get the 3200+. Appearantly he says the 3200+ doesnt have as good of OC'ing abilities and with that also that it has a locked multiplier and raising FSB would interfer with AGP, PCI, and RAM and so forth. Should I save some money and try overclocking or just spend $180 on the 3200+ cause I really want that 400FSB since I'm getting pc3200 RAM. Any ideas, any thoughts are appreciated I don't know that much when it comes to overclocking and the relationship between voltages needed like the vcore and ram voltage and the FSB and all that stuff =(

Just get the AMD Athlon XP3200+, only advanced users and overclockers can get the XP2500+ to 2.2GHz with stable results - but it is possible because I have done it.

I have overclocked my XP3200+ from 2.2GHz to 2.4GHz easily, so it should be possible to hit 2.6GHz without a hitch; when you are advanced enough of course :)

the reason the 2500 is so easily overclocked to a 3200 is because they are exactly the same chip. there is absolutely no performance diff between an o'ced 2500 and a 3200. And youve saved a lot of money...

i have had mine comfortably sitting on 3200 for quite awhile now with no problems. i strongly recommend a very good cooling system before oc'ing though. and read, read, read

but if you cant b bothered with doing any of that just get the 3200

200 (400Mhz)...lol. For best results you should have your mem at same speed as chip

and i have agp set to 66Mhz

ahh thanks everyone for your help and again kangaroo for yours. I ordered that Coolermaster Jet heatsink and fan so thats on the way and should provide way better cooling that the stock, plus I bought a case last week which came with 2 fans and I attach a fan to the side exhaust to make it like a dual exhaust and that has managed to suck out a lot of hot air and bring the temp down further =) I could probably get away with OC'ing a little with my current setup (assuming with coolermaster jet) but honestly, I'm just afraid of touching that kind of stuff. I know you gotta up your vcore voltage and make sure other frequencies are set right, so I would like to learn about overclocking, but I don't think I'm out to make a 2500+ equivelant to a 3200+ =)

what I really need is an indepth article about overclocking. What it does, how it effects your system, how everything else in your system reacts to a CPU overclocking, what other timings and voltages you need to change...etc..anyone got anything like that =P

Noted Nubius.

But to be honest, the rest of the system doesn't know any different, it can increase the internal temperature of the case if you CPU temperature increases by a lot.

You obviously get better performance also :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom