CPU and RAM Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubius

Golden Master
I just tried that SiSoftware Sandra Standard program and fixed a couple bugs and whatnot that they had as tips. One thing, was that my memory speeds were set too high. It said my memory speed was 2x199MHz (398MHz) so I went into my memory timings and changed it from SPD to USER and left most of it auto but changed the frequency to 266 from auto so now it reads 2x133MHz (266MHz) Does this make it more efficient thus better performance? Or was leaving it at auto and letting my BIOS configure it as 2x199 better?

If it worked at 2x 199MHz then leave it there, that provides better performance - but that is actually overclocking your current memory.

Some mobos automatically overclock your CPU/RAM depending on usage. If your mobo supports this feature, leave it all on auto. Unless you run into problems, of course.

no I haven't run into any problems. This MSI Board does support Dynamic Overclocking for the CPU but I have that disabled. Its cause I had the RAM set to SPD so and have all the RAM timings on auto and it put it at 2x199 (398MHZ) and its pc2700 ram. Funny thing is, being that my processor only has 266FSB you'd figure that it shouldn't be running past 2x133 which is what I set it to. I suppose I'll just put it back to auto and let the RAM get overclocked. Hasn't ever hurt me before but I havent noticed a dramatic DECREASE in performance either since I lowered the ram frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom