Windows will not recognize SATA HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

slvrstang

Daemon Poster
it just says no hard drive connected when i run windows setup

i have 1 120GB SATA Western Digital HD

???

this might be a dumb question. but are all the cables connected to the Hard drive & motherboard? If so...Unplug then replug all the cables. it's possible that the cables are not fully inserted.

Welcome to the wonderful world of SATA drivers.

Hopefully your mobo manufacturer provided a floppy disc with some sort of "raid driver". If not, they probably have one you can download on their website.

Even if you dont want RAID, you need to install the drivers so XP will recognise the disk.

Obtain the disc in one of the ways mentioned above and in the XP setup press F6 to load secondary drivers when prompted at the blue screen. IT will then ask you to insert the floppy... and do so.

Sorry if that was a bad explanation... Im fooking tired.

If you give us your motherboard make/model we can help you find a driver.

i have a western digital 120gb SATA drive

a k8v se deluxe mobo w/ amd 64 3200+

i have tried that "load drivers" when windows goes up but it still does not find my drive...please help me find the right driver

did you download it from the western digital website and followed the directions to make a driver floppy?

also...i don't know where to plug the SATA cable in

there is a SATA1 and SATA 2 and then there is an SATA Primary and SATA secondary....which one does it go it...i have tried them all to no avail :(

i think i got it

i installed like 5 different drivers at the same time and it worked

it needed them all i suppose not just 1 or the other
:D

SATA Drives

Just noticed this forum and have a few comments.

First of all, it seems that not all motherboards supply power via the serial cable. That was the case with my Intel D845PEBT2 which is a 2.4Gh P4 system. Although that may be obvious, if your drive is not recognized it may not even be spinning. In that case use the legacy power connector.

Regarding Drivers, I just downloaded the latest one, 14 June, 2004 from Microsoft. For the Silicon Image Sil 3112 SATALink Controller built into the mother board the driver version is V1.2.0.57.

Regarding sockets, if you are not using RAID, be sure to set that up in the BIOS and use just the primary SATA socket.

Having said all that, I'm stlll not running with my 250 Gb WD Caviar drive. It is recognized by the device manager which also gives me the size, model number, and serial number, but it is not recognized by the WD diagnostics. In addition, I have a problem now which came with some windows update. The system will not connect to the Logical Disk Manager Service.

That's the next hurdle and it seems to be a Microsoft XP Pro Sp1 problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom