Monitor Won't Receive Signal or Freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bartb

Solid State Member
The computer has been running perfectly for 4 or 5 months now, but this past week has not been so good.

Whenever I turn on the computer one of 2 things happens, either the monitor won't receive a signal (Computer appears to be starting up fine), or the computer will start up and then the image will freeze after 10 minutes or so. If I start it in safe mode then the computer won't freeze.

My Specs are:
Asus GEForce 8600GT
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
Corsair HX520
Gigabyte GA-P35
Windows Vista Ultimate

I assumed it was a monitor issue, so I switched monitors, but that didn't solve anything. I also reinstalled the drivers for my graphics card and that didn't solve anything either.

I'm going to try to switch graphics cards and see if that solves the issue, but before I do that does anyone have any idea as to what the problem could be?

Update:

Disabling the driver seems to fix the problem, going to try to reinstall the driver for the 2nd time today

As far as I know you can't... lol. How would you use the computer without a monitor? I guess if you're a lucky guesser...go right on ahead and try =P.

Hey yeh im getting the same problem but it won't get any signal at all and i also have an 8600 GT.
Yeh my spec is
MOBO-ASUS p5ld2
VIDEOCARD- Nvidia 8600GT
CPU-Intel P4
PSU-Thermaltake TR2-470W

yeah i thought that was a little strange that he said he has no display and was able to reload drivers.
That's because he said he booted into safe mode and reloaded the drivers.

Hey yeh im getting the same problem but it won't get any signal at all and i also have an 8600 GT.
Yeh my spec is
MOBO-ASUS p5ld2
VIDEOCARD- Nvidia 8600GT
CPU-Intel P4
PSU-Thermaltake TR2-470W

Have you tried reinstalling your drivers, like bartb did? Are you able to get into Safe Mode at all? Does the display come up for the POST screen? We need some more info.

it doesn't come on the post screen at all it just is black and the monitor says can't find signal
Hello,

Is your PSU powerful enough? That sounds like you dont have enough power to run everything and the 8800.

Cheers,
Mak

Also make sure that your RAM and PCI cards are all seated tightly. Could also try resetting CMOS (unplug the computer from the wall, press the power button to drain any remaining power, then remove the small coin battery on the motherboard for about 5-10 minutes, place it back in, and plug the computer back in).

BTW, Mak, he said he had an 8600, not an 8800.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom