fingerprint scanner: uses???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark1413

Baseband Member
So i recently bought an ASUS M51 series laptop off newegg.
Newegg.com - ASUS M51 Series M51Sn-X2 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T8300(2.40GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 4GB Memory DDR2 667 250GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 9500M GS - Laptops / Notebooks

Upon the initial startup, it prompted me to scan my fingers and set up the login thing, being an eager guy ready to test out his new laptop, i bypassed this setup to get straight to the good stuff. Anyways, i cannot seem to find where i can set up my finger print scanner to use with the login. (Currently using the facial recognition login feature, though glitchey, its still somewhat cool.) If anyone knows how or where i can access this and set it up, it would be greatly appreciated.

Now... on to my next topic. Does anyone knwo any cool/useful/fun programs that utilize my currently worthless finger scanner???

Most finger scanners are just a joke really. Even the more expensive ones can still be easily bypassed with a quick, cheap copy of someone's fingerprint.
If someone steals your lappy, chances are you'll have a fingerprint somewhere on it anyway, so voila!

I sound like a dork here, but I watched mythbusters on this one (about cracking the laptop finger reader) and it isn't as easy as one would imagine. In fact there were pretty good at thwarting people trying to log into the computer w/ a copy of a finger print.

Really the only usefull tool for it is the 'easy' of being able to just swipe your finger. You can chose to either log onto windows through just your password, just your finger print, or both. Most computers will have a 3rd party tool that manages the finger prints and passwords. And then you can choose which way to log onto the computer, and some even today will have a password bank that will remember your passwords from all your websites and you can just swipe your finger to get instant access - instead of remembering your passwords.

thanks for all the replys, though i am a little disappointed. was hoping to find some cool use for this lame accessory, but apparently there are none.

its basically a password system, so theoretically you can use it for anything that requires a password: Login, encryption etc..
I can't see what else you could possibly use it for

I know I can set mine up so it logs into my email, msn, or other accounts. I have one of those microsoft ones..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom