FIANL THREAD for my endless questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

golumstoe

Baseband Member
************WARNING**********
==Might be too long for some people==
************WARNING**********​

Sorry If i was causing a problem with my questions!
I keep getting new questions every day and I posted them
in new threads WHICH I shouldn't have done.

I'll just make this the final one to get all my questions posted.

Anyways
GOOD NEWS: My dad finally let me order the parts! Any day I am ready.
BAD NEWS: I still have a $500~$600 budget.

Here is my semi-final build. :D

Case - Newegg.com - Rosewill R5717-P BK 120mm Fan ATX Mid Tower Computer Case withTool-Free kits - Computer Cases

CPU - Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors

Mobo - Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP43D2A7 LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Video Card - Newegg.com - EVGA 384-P3-N851-AR GeForce 8800 GS 384MB 192-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

RAM - Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

HDD - Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

**Optical Drive - Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

OS - Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2B for System Builders 1 Pack - Operating Systems

*PSU - Newegg.com - Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply 115/ 230 V UL, CUL, TUV, FCC, and CB certification - Power Supplies
(already have)

Accessories
Cable Ties - Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Total: $560 :eek: (Combo deals, MIR, etc)
(Monitor, mouse, keyboard, printer = already have)

Now, for the list of questions :p

1) The Case and airflow

The case seems to have a front panel fan on the bottom. It's hard to see, but I'm sure there is one 120mm fan slot.
I am going for a 1:1 ratio, and for now I am only going to use the rear 120mm fan and drill holes on the top for exhaust.
For intake, I am either going to use the side 120mm fan or front 120mm fan. I just don't know what to use.

The front seems to be a good choice, but only if the front has holes or something to bring air inside. But then again, even if it does, the airflow is blocked by the HDD slots, which is like right in front of it.

The side 120mm one... I'm not sure about that one. It probably will cool the video card well, but what does it do to the airflow?

P.S. Any recommendations on good 120mm fans? I'm not looking for a crazy powerful ones. Just OKAY ones that aren't loud. And also, nothing with shipping costs. THEY ARE SO EXPENSIVE! Something I can get locally.

2) Intel Stock HSF vs Overclocking

I was told that for mild overclocking, the Intel stock HSF will be enough. But I am trying to go above and beyond, if I can, so I can get the most out of the system. I'm thinking of not getting a after market HSF for now, and see how hot my CPU gets after overclocking.
What do you guys think?

3) PSU, oh my PSU

After thorough research, I decided to stick with my old PSU.
It poses a potential threat, with pretty low 29A for 12v.
It also has been used for at least 1.5 years. I can't remember exactly how long. (Never had any problems until my old system finally broke down recently, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't because of the PSU**)
Like the HSF, I am going to use this and see how it does.
First sign of unstability or crash, I will switch to a better one.
Or should I?!?!?

**Blue Screen of Death would appear on startup on a normal afternoon, with message saying : UNMOUNTABLE_DEVICE_FAILURE. Any idea what the problem is? I googled it and I narrowed it down to the HDD though...

4) Wire management

I am just going to use cable ties to tie the wires and attach them to the side panels with good old tape. Is this a good setup?

Things you should know before commenting:
1) Remember the budget please :(
2) Feel free to recommend any new parts for anything, but
they need to be around the same price.
3) I am a total newcomer to building computers, although a devout gamer.
4) I plan to OC as much as I can without exploding my computer.
5) Like I said in #3, I will spend most of my time gaming for multiple hours everyday.
6) I probably won't be upgrading any parts for around 4~5 years :)eek:), so don't worry about getting parts that will/should be compatable with future cards and boards.

Well, you made it! It's the end of my accumulated questions thread.
I will be replying as much as I can and editing my post when I come up with a new question.

Thank you very much for reading and replying. :)

EDIT: New SATA DVD Burner instead of IDE one.
Question #4 Added
Added Cable Ties to shopping list

1. case and airflow

The case seems fine, and your idea to create an exhaust fan on top should work pretty nice. As far as good 120mm fans.. just get one that works :) You might want to be careful about slipping a 120mm fan in that front slot there. Most of the time only a 80mm will fit. You could probably get a 120mm to fit there, but it'd take some pushing and shoving. (I use both front and side for intakes, and top and back for exhaust)

2. CPU

Since you're planning on maybe going for an aftermarket hsf once you see your temps, just do that. Just play around with your clock speeds, and monitor your temperatures to see if you need to upgrade to a better hsf. Don't increase the speeds by too much though. Wouldn't want you making breakfast on your processor :p since you're going to be spending time gaming, you really may want to look into that because temps will end up being your worst nightmare. Look into getting a pci slot exhaust fan. Those things are wonderful :)
Newegg.com - AOC FC-2000 PCI Slot Case Cooler - Case Fans

3. the dreaded PSU

This is an area that I don't have much experience.. a lot of my questions on this forum revolve around power. You could try, but it would kinda suck if that psu of yours decided to fry something in your computer. Somebody else please help on that part.. I really need to learn more about power supplies.

as for your bluescreen of death. I have no idea why the hdd would cause that to happen. I've never seen it before *knock on wood*

1. case and airflow

The case seems fine, and your idea to create an exhaust fan on top should work pretty nice. As far as good 120mm fans.. just get one that works :) You might want to be careful about slipping a 120mm fan in that front slot there. Most of the time only a 80mm will fit. You could probably get a 120mm to fit there, but it'd take some pushing and shoving. (I use both front and side for intakes, and top and back for exhaust)

2. CPU

Since you're planning on maybe going for an aftermarket hsf once you see your temps, just do that. Just play around with your clock speeds, and monitor your temperatures to see if you need to upgrade to a better hsf. Don't increase the speeds by too much though. Wouldn't want you making breakfast on your processor :p since you're going to be spending time gaming, you really may want to look into that because temps will end up being your worst nightmare. Look into getting a pci slot exhaust fan. Those things are wonderful :)
Newegg.com - AOC FC-2000 PCI Slot Case Cooler - Case Fans

3. the dreaded PSU

This is an area that I don't have much experience.. a lot of my questions on this forum revolve around power. You could try, but it would kinda suck if that psu of yours decided to fry something in your computer. Somebody else please help on that part.. I really need to learn more about power supplies.

as for your bluescreen of death. I have no idea why the hdd would cause that to happen. I've never seen it before *knock on wood*

Thank you so much for the reply!

So you think that the front panel fan is 80mm? Well, whichever size it is, hopefully the front panel will have holes to get some air inside.
If that's not the case, I was thinking of removing the front panel plate thingys for 3 optical drive bays and putting an intake fan (120mm) there.
Or I can just drill holes in the plate thing and put a fan there, instead of removing all the plates.

Thanks for the PCI slot fan advice. I will look into it and see how it goes.

I really should get a new PSU, kind of, but they are pretty expensive these days, and it will be easier for their price to drop then for me to convince my dad to get a new one. I'll try though. Maybe a $50 Antec Earthwatts?

Oh, and new question:
5) Modding the top

Simply put, where should I drill holes on the top? I'm thinking everywhere, ya, like everywhere. Same size holes as fan slots i think. Maybe bigger holes.

This ends up with (if I actaully mod):
1 Top, 1 Rear Exhaust
1 Front (at the cd drives), 1 side (80mm or 120mm?) Intake

I could go with extra intake with the fan on the bottom of the front panel, but like i said before, only if it actually brings air inside.

I recommend changing the case to a Cooler Master Elite 330. The Elite 330 is very well made and has a place to add a 120mm front fan. With a 120mm front intake fan and the 120mm rear exhaust fan that comes with the case it should have good airflow.

I used the Elite 330 in a recent build and would definitely get it again.

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Elite 330 RC-330-KKN1-GP Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

+ a 120mm fan.
Newegg.com - XIGMATEK XSF-F1251 120mm Case Fan - Case Fans

Put the top exhaust in the center of the top of the case, like above your ram slots. ****, that was confusing.. haha anyway, be sure that you make same sized holes in a 120mm circle. Kinda the same as a premade exhaust port in a case.

I recommend changing the case to a Cooler Master Elite 330. The Elite 330 is very well made and has a place to add a 120mm front fan. With a 120mm front intake fan and the 120mm rear exhaust fan that comes with the case it should have good airflow.

I used the Elite 330 in a recent build and would definitely get it again.

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Elite 330 RC-330-KKN1-GP Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

+ a 120mm fan.
Newegg.com - XIGMATEK XSF-F1251 120mm Case Fan - Case Fans

Nice case! Except for the shipping cost xP
But I have to stop and wonder, both my case and your case has a front 120mm fan. However, how does the air come in?
I cannot locate any holes in the front panel that should be there to move air inside. For me, it looks like it's just a fan that will be tossing around the hot air inside.
I'm probably wrong. Please correct me x)

Nice fan also!
I was thinking of something like that, or a quite, low CFM one.
I was tortured with loud computer fan noises that I really want my computer to be as quiet as possible now.
If it is inevitable, oh well, but you know what I mean.. x)

Put the top exhaust in the center of the top of the case, like above your ram slots. ****, that was confusing.. haha anyway, be sure that you make same sized holes in a 120mm circle. Kinda the same as a premade exhaust port in a case.

Alright.
What about another one on top of the power supply?
Since mine has a fan going upwards, is it a good idea?

BTW.
I just noticed that I spelled FINAL in my title wrong.
I'm such a loser :(

Nice case! Except for the shipping cost xP
But I have to stop and wonder, both my case and your case has a front 120mm fan. However, how does the air come in?
I cannot locate any holes in the front panel that should be there to move air inside. For me, it looks like it's just a fan that will be tossing around the hot air inside.
I'm probably wrong. Please correct me x)
)

I'm not sure about the rosewill but the entire front of the Elite 330 is mesh.

Also the power supply is usualy mounted with the fan facing down.

^ That depends, if the Case has a low PSU mount style then you'd face it towards the top

I think it should always face the botherboard

I'm not sure about the rosewill but the entire front of the Elite 330 is mesh.

Also the power supply is usualy mounted with the fan facing down.

^ That depends, if the Case has a low PSU mount style then you'd face it towards the top

I think it should always face the botherboard

Thanks for the replies.
I should email Rosewill and find out if the front is mesh or something.

Do any of you guys know if Rosewill 120mm case fans are worth to keep?
Also if the front panel fan of my case is 80mm or 120mm. Cannot tell which size it is.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom